Casurf1978

Grad School??

Here the gist of what's going on with my firm. We merged and for the next three months there will be a lot of work, after that my boss "does not know how it will affect my group." I took it as basically lay offs. So here is my question. Thinking of going back to grad school for a masters in Chem. Then shoot off into the pharm, chem or cosmetics industries since I think these will take off in the next few decades to come. Plus the finance industry SUXS, people are too anal. So I was wondering anyone out there work in these industries or have a masters in chem. Just curious as what to expect.

Hey.

I am currently in graduate school for synthetic organic chemistry. I originally started in 2000 with intentions of getting my Ph.D., but after finally deciding that it is not the right decision for me, I will be leaving with my Master's degree (as soon as I get a job and can write my thesis).

My program consisted of 1 full year of classes and then research until you can complete your dissertation (a total of about 5.5 years) (the Master's degree here is the booby prize for not finishing your Ph.D.). I love being in the lab, at the bench, so the research part was okay, provided it was working. I have been in the lab for almost 3 full years and anly about 1/8 of the stuff I have worked on has worked (and no, it's not me :P, it's the nature of chemistry). It's very frustrating and I don't like coming here 6 days of the week. Besides, a Ph.D. will not allow me to do that which I want to do.

Now, I am in the process of looking for jobs (I have 2 interviews coming up soon). Generally for me, I will be making drug candidates. Someone will come up with an interesting structure and then I will make it to be tested for activity. I am very much looking forward to this. I will able to give input into the design of structures and syntheses as needed, as well.

But, a friend of mine, who has a Bachelor's degree is currently doing this kind of job already and is taking classes at night for her Master's degree (I don't think there is any specific research required). I don't think that her job is going to change all that much after she has gotten her Master's.

Have you considered looking for a chemistry position with your Bachelor's degree? There are many chemical companies out there in California and the market is better for Master's and Bachelor's candidates than Ph.D.s at this point. Check out nextwave.sciencemag.org/us/ and www.chemistry.org for job opportunities and look in the magazine Chemical and Engineering News (there are quite a few job listings in the current (March 8, 2004) issue).

I think that I answered your questions to the best of my ability. But, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. :)
Good luck to you!! B|

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"