CrazyIvan

Question for SERIOUS Computer Geeks.

It might be the index.dat file, the we-know-where-you-been files that contains your entire web history. They don't show up on a find files search cos windoze hides them (even from show all files). In Windows 2000 and Windows XP there are several "index.dat" files in these locations:
\Documents and Settings\\Cookies\index.dat
\Documents and Settings\\Local\Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat
\Documents and Settings\\Local\Settings\History\History.IE5\************\index.dat
\Documents and Settings\\Local\Settings\History\History.IE5\************\index.dat
\Documents and Settings\\Local\Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.datCookies\index.dat, History\History.IE5\index.dat,
Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat.
You can't delete them manually in windoze cos they're classed as system files, you have to do it in DOS. Or there is lots of code available to splat them.

Ok my fellow geeks, this is what I've found out:

After doing a in-depth cleaning (using whatever method) you will clear all traces, BUT, if for some reason you RESET the computer the INDEX.DAT file gets "corrupted", I knew that could be the culprit, but after a couple of tries I was sure THAT was the problem, when I reghosted my system I saw that "old" links came back, so removing that bad boy off the image did the trick.

So, if in the future, you're browsing the net and the system hangs and you have to "nuke" your PC, make sure you remove the INDEX.DAT either manually or using a utility.

You learn a new thing everyday. Thank you all who replied to this thread.

Also, have you tried installing and using HiJack This?
It's the best way to see if you have an additional items in startup or BHOs. Only use it if you are an expert in the ways of windows or your will FUBAR your system.

Ok do a search for spider its a freebie and effective
if you don't have any luck pm me
and i'll send you a copy

Spider? Not familar with that one.

Also, have you tried installing and using HiJack This?
It's the best way to see if you have an additional items in startup or BHOs. Only use it if you are an expert in the ways of windows or your will FUBAR your system.

Well, I personally don't like to install too many "utilities", but I rather tweak the registry, settings, files etc. I have all of that under control, the problem here was that those links weren't going away, but, I found the cause and why.

Thanks again.