PhoenixFire

what would you do if you where me ??!?

Okay this is a long story - kinda hard to put in words as well - will try my best - if you get lost then i will clarify as needed:

I am a weekend warrior - always have been and thats all i wanna be - in south africa did my 2 max 3 jumps ( very rarely) every weekend - jumped with my friends and loved it. I bought my own gear a while ago ( teardrop container + hornet main)
anyways I recently (4 months ago) arrived in london to work and travel and bought my rig with me in the hope that i would jump - I did meet up with some cool ppl from DZ.com and I went to deff dz's with them -became a member of BPSA and member of headcorn.
now the thing is i have only done 2 jumps in the uk ( partly because socially i have been doing other things on weekend) also because weather so terrible - i feel i dont wanna mission off to DZ if weather is bad as I am quite shy and feel "out" this is my issue i know but i am sure some of u have felt this way b4.

I can not jump my rig anymore - because of BPSA rules(no cypress) which i accept - and can not afford to buy a cypress now anyways because i wanna travel. and my reserve now needs to be repacked.

QUESTION AFTER ALL THAT is
do i try sell my rig and do one or 2 jumps on club gear when i get a chance ?
do i hold onto my gear and take it home with me , when i go back to SA.

Basically I still wanna skydive for fun and just am not sure if it is worthwhile to hang onto a rig I may not jump for a while if ever again

*sorry told u this would be a bit of a mashup*

opinions please -
Peace Be Da Journey

see how many jumps you plane on doing a year multiply that by the cost of rental gear.

The reason i bought gear was because i know i will do atleast 100 jumps this year at 25 bucks per jump it was smarter for me to buy gear.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I have considered that - and at this point living in england have only done 2 jumps in 4 months ( weather aznd other stuff)
I guess I am kinda feeling despondant because if i sell my gear i feear i may quite - and i don't really wanna / but on the other hand i also feel that i ma hanging onto gear i am not using.

*does that make sense*
Peace Be Da Journey

If the club gear is decent, I'd sell you gear and continue to do a couple jumps a weekend, or like a lot of the Europeans I meet over here, come to the US for a week (or Spain or anywhere the weather is good) and jump like mad on a skydiving vacation.

Funny, a friend of mine moved from California to London a few months ago, and pretty much gave up on the idea of skydiving much, because of the weather. His plan was to jump on the train or plane and spent weekends at Empuria.

now the thing is i have only done 2 jumps in the uk ( partly because socially i have been doing other things on weekend) also because weather so terrible - i feel i dont wanna mission off to DZ if weather is bad

The only thing thats certain, is that if you're not at the DZ, you won't jump...

I can not jump my rig anymore - because of BPSA rules(no cypress) which i accept - and can not afford to buy a cypress now anyways because i wanna travel. and my reserve now needs to be repacked.

The BPA rules are that AADs are mandatory for all parachutists below B license. The requirements for B are IC1 + 50 jumps. As you have the jump numbers, I would suggest that the best thing to do would be get your IC1.

You will need briefs on a number of issues (gear checks, jumpmastering, spotting etc) and will need to do 5 pre-declared consecutive landings within a 10m radius - but could rent club kit to do this.

Once you have your B, this becomes a non-issue - and you can jump your own kit again. :)

I would suggest that the best thing to do would be get your IC1.

Yeah, I totally agree. If you're planning on jumping at Headcorn, I'm afraid the club kit ain't all that! The best rig for hire is a PD190 in a Zerox and at 5 quid a jump it soon adds up. I know the weather has been pretty shit lately, but I think you've just been really unlucky with your choice of weekends... I only jump on weekends too and I've done 50 so far this year - all at Headcorn (plus some jumps abroad).

Come down the club more often! If the weather's dodgy, sit around and chat - or, more productively, get your IC1 briefings done! When there's a hole in the cloud, get on a Go For It load. You'll soon be back in the sky and won't believe you even contemplated selling your rig!!!

See you at the DZ :)
Steph
-x-

I think 5 quid a jump for rental is fine. (But I share the concern about rental gear maybe not being the best, depending on where you are.)

Shameless vulture time: what size is your Hornet? Is it a 170, by any chance? :) Ooh, and what colors?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.