TheSkiesAbove

I need my own rig (questions)

I've been looking through the dropzone/ebay/word of mouth markets for the last 3-4 months and have an idea of the value of most items new and old.

I was looking to buy the cheapest used gear I could but I came into some money so I can afford everything new but would prefer not to waste money.

I've got 43 jumps and my A license with some freefly and tunnel, and tracking experience. my exit weight is only 170 and ive been using the rental 170 since its the smallest they have. I want to do a lot more tracking and get into wingsuit more importantly than a small swooping canopy and i hear wingsuit opens at faster speeds.

Which parts are best for used and which for new? I would think the container is best new so it can be fitted? Is it necessary to buy a brand new cypres or should i just find one that has 1-2 years life left? does it matter if my reserve chute is new or PD brand name. where can i learn more about the main canopy and its progression?

any advice is great!
thanks a bunch
-pjd

Everyone will have their own opinions on what is the best gear and what it should sell for. I'd say take your time and look at many ads, ask people at your DZ, and get to try things on before buying. They will often know what are the typical second hand values of different gear in your area. Read the scam alert if using the classifieds on this site or other online ad services.

I love the Aerodyne Smart reserve, really nice flare and openings on that one, the PD Silhouette is a great beginner's canopy, and way under rated, IMO, but there are many more good beginner canopies. Why would you want something smaller than a 170? I'd think you'd get through the wind with no problems with that?

The Cypres AAD has factory maintenance, so an older one should be just as good as a brand new one.

Don't think about what canopy will be good for wingsuit just yet, as you should wait with the wingsuiting until at least 250 jumps (according to manufacturer's recommendations), and then you'd probably already gotten a smaller canopy.

Don't do what I did, I got brand new gear as a first rig, but could have saved a lot of money if I'd bought second hand, the main I'm flying now is second hand, and I doubt it would have been any more fun if it had been new.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

well, i wanna wingsuit in 150 more jumps so it kind of is going to happen soon with the volume i'll be jumping.
ive been looking at mirage g3 and mirage g4 with options brand new container but it seems so expensive. I want a really comfy, well fit rig. I read the sizing list and im pretty sure i want to start with a 150 main as i'll be able to downsize and comfortably jump it for 1k jumps

well, i wanna wingsuit in 150 more jumps so it kind of is going to happen soon with the volume i'll be jumping.
ive been looking at mirage g3 and mirage g4 with options brand new container but it seems so expensive. I want a really comfy, well fit rig. I read the sizing list and im pretty sure i want to start with a 150 main as i'll be able to downsize and comfortably jump it for 1k jumps

You should be jumping a 170 now and could downsize to a 150 when you reach a hundred jumps (assuming you're comfortable making low flat turns and flare turns). While you shouldn't have any problems landing a 150 without any riser input into a wide open field you are likely to break bones when you have to avoid obstacles like other jumpers or unseen fences/power lines when landing out on the sunset load or decide to learn swooping because it isn't exciting enough. Canopies need to be sized for that landing out scenario which also involves down-wind landings in the only open area which happens to be a paved road.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

With average levels of testosterone poisoning and reasonable coaching you'll go through 2-3 rigs and at least 6-7 canopies ending up at a point where you don't want to down size and the first container will last just 400 jumps which may not be 2 years. Regardless you'll only loose about $2 a jump on depreciation regardless of how many canopies and containers you go through provided you buy used (less if you do a good job shopping and selling).

Combine that with depreciation and rental fees and "used" for everything as a package is nearly always the right first choice. used with a new harness (< $400 modification at the maker, less time than a new container) may be the correct second choice.

If you insist on a new container I wouldn't buy a new Javelin. Other vendors have better construction with lower price tags. I wouldn't buy a new Mirage. You can get the same construction with a lower price tag. Try Wings, Icon, or Infinity. The Vector Sky Hook MARD is a fine idea. Bill's spectra reserve ripcord is a fine idea. But it's an expensive rig.

Separately, used AADs are often over-priced. You need to look at how much you're going to be spending each month - divide months of life into the quantity purchase price plus inspections+batteries less trade-in allowance.

Having seen a reserve without span-wise reinforcing tapes across all line attachments split into 2 and 5 cell pieces held together by the tail, I wouldn't buy a reserve without span-wise tapes if I intended to freefly or do AFF jumps which put me at higher risk for an over-speed deployment due to some one grabbing my reserve handle, a Cypres fire free flying, or a Cypres fire after getting knocked out. All PD reserves and Smart reserves were built this way. Tempos after 2001. Ravens in the current R-max series.

Height alone isn't the correct metric to use for sizing used rigs since inseams vary radically - although I'm six inches taller than my wife she can still borrow my jeans. height - inseam - 20 inches is a rule of thumb that's close.

Whether you can afford it or not, buying new gear that you're going to want to sell in the first year or two just doesn't make economic sense.

Things worth buying new at your stage are those things that you're not going to want to replace in the first year or two, which would include helmet, altimeter, AAD, goggles and probably a jumpsuit.

Your harness/container, main and reserve are things that you will probably want to change within the next couple of years. Buying new will only be a waste of money. I'd strongly suggest that you wait until you're closer to the end of your downsizing progression until you buy new. At best, you'll get two downsizes out of a container and when you downsize the container, that will typically mean downsizing the reserve as well.

Jumpsuits are a funny one. If you're absolutely sure that you want to freefly, then there's probably no harm buying yourself a shiny new, custom made freefly suit now. That said, I bought a freefly suit as my first jumpsuit, but have subsequently gotten heavily into 4-way and bigway formation skydiving, which necessitated me buying a couple of different competition RW suits and I never wear my freefly suits any more. If you can find something second hand that fits reasonably, you could also save yourself some money there in case your discipline of choice should change once you know a little bit more and have had the chance to try things some more.