cucamber

Chest rings disadvantages

Hi everyone,

Just got my Vector 3, and I am very excited. Love the feeling of having a new toy to play around with. Spent hours just walking around the house with it.

Any way, I've noticed a while ago that almost all of Vector's competitors (javelin, voodoo, mirage, etc.) have chest rings as standard, or at least as an option. This seemed kinda wired to me, because I assume that a harness with chest rings would fit better than one without them. So why don't UPT offer them?

Trying to find the answer, I entered UPT web site, and this is the only related thing I could find: "The harness curves nicely over the shoulders, and the new yoke design prevents the harness from slipping off of narrow shoulders and eliminates the need for chest rings and the problems associated with them."
http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=37

So my question is - what are the "problems associated with them"?

Are there any more advantages to them apart from what i specified?

Thanks!

It's very easy to over tighten the chest strap and increase the chance of line twists.

They also add a more points for wear and potential failure.

A little bit off topic right away but does a tight chest strap really increase the chance of line twists? What I have experienced it doesn't.
-When the canopy pulls your shoulders up unevenly during the opening, if the chest strap is tight it doesn't tilt you on the other side as much because the connection points are more in the middle.
-If the canopy gets into linetwists, the chance that risers get uneven inside the twists is smaller if the connection points are close to each other
-Because of having the connection points close to each other, it will be a lot easier to undo the twist. (so, don't push apart the risers, it only makes it harder to kick out)
Think about if the connection point of the risers would be in the same place---> if you have line twists they will open right away (i.e. the lower the twists are the easier it is to kick out of it)
About the chest rings...as you said its one more possible point for failure or wear.