bertusgeert

Frisbee Aerodynamics

On any subsonic wing (including a circular one) the center of pressure is located ahead of the geometrical center of the wing. This means that in a frisbee, the CP is ahead of the CG (which is at the geometrical center). Hence the lift force tries to tilt the disk nose-up. However, if the disk is spinning CW as seen from the top, the gyroscopic effect will actually cause the disk to tilt to the left rather than nose-up. This means that the lift vector is now tilted to the left, resulting in a left (or CCW) turn.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On any subsonic wing (including a circular one) the center of pressure is located ahead of the geometrical center of the wing. This means that in a frisbee, the CP is ahead of the CG (which is at the geometrical center). Hence the lift force tries to tilt the disk nose-up. However, if the disk is spinning CW as seen from the top, the gyroscopic effect will actually cause the disk to tilt to the left rather than nose-up. This means that the lift vector is now tilted to the left, resulting in a left (or CCW) turn.

THANKYOU! That is the answer I somewhat arrived at as well. Why subsonic though? It occurs even when I throw it at supersonic speeds, so you theory must obviously be false!:D

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

THANKYOU! That is the answer I somewhat arrived at as well. Why subsonic though? It occurs even when I throw it at supersonic speeds, so you theory must obviously be false!:D

You must have a very strong arm. The CP moves back at supersonic speeds (which is why large supersonic aircraft like Concorde and the XB70 pumped fuel back and forth as they passed through mach 1, in order to stay trimmed).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.