meridianjumper

I am being bribed at work!

I am in the process of looking for a job and moving from one state to another. The company that I now work for I have been there for right at 2 years. I have 2 different jobs that are VERY close to either giving me an offer or something on that line. My boss just can in and wanted to "purchase" an insurance policy from me that would keep me working for them until the end of June. Both jobs I have told that I need to give a 3 week notice before I can leave. So they are already expecting me to be a while before coming on board with them. The reason that my boss wants to do this policy is that he is wanting to go on a trip to see his son graduate from high school in NY. The trip will be at the later part of June. The money is a really nice amount and would definatly help me out, but if I get an offer to start in 3 weeks I would have to tell them no, I could not start until July 1. >:( Has anyone run into this problem before? I would like some input from other folks. My industry is the IT industry. I am a tech.

Blue Skies,
Jeremy

Never been in your exact position (been a firemen almost 20 years) but if it were me I would look out for myself. If your are at risk losing a job you want for one you have already decided to leave, the decision should be rather simple.

Good Luck,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I used to work in employment, and if you are being hired in, the start date is always negotiable.

There is no harm in telling the new job folks that between the time you interviewed and the time their offer came in, that a special project at your current job arose that you need to see through to completion in June. In fact, it shows you have respect for your employers, integrity, honesty (the change since the interview) and loyalty (you don't want to leave your current boss in the lurch). Those are all good traits for an employee to possess.

Just food for thought... Good luck!

I agree. And just because you think the companies are "very close" to making an offer doesn't mean its going to happen in the next couple of days. If they do, you're only asking for an extra couple of weeks. If they want you, they'll wait.