sinker

Autism and Aspergers

and my lucky bamboo all green and pretty...

Be careful you might attract panda bears. :|

Yes. They warned me of that risk. However, I am an adept panda charmer. Don't tell the pandas. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

ok computer in front mess left side window on the right half naked guy sitting chair lol j/k

That's just a mirror! Isn't it great not having to put on pants? One of life's little joys, I tell ya! :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

that would be very interesting...

and no, i don't think you've done anything wrong...

did you go walking today? c'mon man, gotta shed those pounds! (not that I'm one to talk, I need to loose a bit too and have been a bit lazy...;)

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Autism in the news today...

(The chemical they are talking about, oxytocin, is also involved in childbirth and in breastfeeding.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20051019/hl_hsn/hormonelinkedtoaggressioninmice

WEDNESDAY, Oct. 19 (HealthDay News) -- New research with mice offers more evidence that a specific hormone plays a major role in people's ability to take care of others and avoid conflict.

If the findings hold true for humans, scientists might get one step closer to a treatment for people with autism because they often lack an essential sense of empathy, researchers said.

The study, by a team of Japanese and American researchers, found that when mice were genetically engineered to not process the hormone oxytocin, the males became more aggressive and the females often forgot to take care of their babies.

Recent research has linked oxytocin -- no relation to the painkiller OxyContin -- to the ability of people to trust others. The new research is important because it expands on the role of oxytocin, said Paul Zak, director of the Center for Neuroeconomics Studies at Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, Calif.

"We're finding (oxytocin) is much more related to social behaviors, and social behavior deficits," said Zak, who worked on the research into oxytocin and trust.

In other words, oxytocin seems to be connected to how humans interact with each other -- and how the interactions can go wrong, he added.

Oxytocin is produced in the brain and released by the pituitary gland. Among other things, it seems to play a role in reproduction and perhaps even in the mysterious phenomenon called love.

Similar hormones appear in many animals, even including insects, said study co-author Katsuhiko Nishimori, a molecular biology researcher at Tohoku University in Sendai, Japan. In higher animals, the hormones seem to affect both reproduction and behavior.

Nishimori and colleagues bred mice that did not have "receptors" that would allow them to process oxytocin. Then they watched how the mice behaved.

The study findings appear in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The male mice were highly aggressive, quicker to attack intruders and more likely to fight them for a longer period. It wasn't clear, however, if the missing hormone might lower some other types of aggression.

The male mice were also more likely to forget the identity of females they had met.

As for the female mice, they sometimes forgot to retrieve their babies when they wandered off.

What does this all mean for people?

It's not entirely clear, Zak said, adding, "the extrapolation from mice to humans is a bit of a leap."

Still, it's possible the research could help scientists develop a treatment for people with autism. They can sometimes be aggressive or have trouble relating to other people, he said.

And, while researchers haven't proven it, some researchers suspect that problems with oxytocin may help explain autism, Zak said.

i want to thank a few people for being nice

Michel (sinker)
keith
judyj
rosa
rebecca
beth
gia

:)
Sorry I missed so much today. BUt I think you should feel good about how many people are really talking to you. I read many people who talk with you who don't talk with me!

Good job~~~:)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!