simplyputsi

Techie help, I dun wanna reformat!!

I need some help from the computer savy's out there. My lap top decided it didn't want to boot up this weekend. After many off and ons it finally said that there was a missing or corrupt file. Now I have my recovery disk, but when I boot with it in the drive it tells me I have to agree that i'm about to loose all my saved data. Then I have two choices from there, proceed, or cancel. I thought I could have it boot from that disk and then if I didn't want to reformat there was an option somewhere that would basically do a scan and replace the bad files. Isn't that how it is supposed to work? Please please I don't want to reformat, even though it might just be best at this point.
HELP!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

If you can get the compy up and running you could run a sstem restore back to about a week or so, and then run whatever scandisk/ad are proggie/anti virus proggie, and that should start to help you out. You may lose a little data, but not all of it. In the future it may be prudent to back up important files to CD/Zipdisk/DVD or whaever you want to use for storage.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Sorry, forgot the details. Dohh. It is windows xp media center edition. Here is really the question I need the answer to. When I boot from the recovery disk it only gives me the two choices I referred to earlier. If I choose accept is it going to go to a prompt where I can type what you had, or is it just going to start up a running a reformat on me.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Before you do any of that ...

Have you tried to boot in safe mode? If you can, you can copy the files that you need to save.

You might also see if someone local to you can figure out if the HD for that machine can be "slaved" as a drive on another computer, so that you can copy the files, then reformat afterward.