kirrz

Christmas time in New York

New York's a great place to be a tourist around Christmas. Just wander around ... you'll see all kinds of great stuff. Check out the windows at the big department stores (Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc). Check out the Rockefeller Center tree. Ice skate there (though, be warned, it's usually ridiculously crowded this time of year). Go see the Rockettes (if you can get a ticket).

And yeah, it'll be cold.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Typical tourist crap: Windows on 5th, Tree, Rock Center, Empire State Building, giant candy cane at 9 W. 57,

Not typical non-tourist crap that I totally recommend: Go to the post office (Penn Station, 33rd and 8th) on Dec. 22nd or 23rd. Pick a corner, and just watch. Around 7pm at night or so. The flow of humanity there is amazing - it's like road-hypnosis or something. Awesome.

If you're there on Xmas day, take a walk over to God's Love We Deliver, downtown - it's near Prince and Lafayette. Look them up online. It's a place that delivers meals to homebound AIDS patients. You can go volunteer, they always need people early on Xmas day to help cook or pack the meals up. I try and do it every year - it's just so... Good.

Happy holidays. Either way, you'll be in the best city in the world. :)

Every time I'm in NYC I try and hit the park, even if its just for a block or two. Grand Central Station was starting to decorate when I was there 2 weeks ago. The tree at Rockafeller was wilting so hopefully they've fixed that.

Just wonder the streets... its a fun experience.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com