peacefuljeffrey

About how many KNOTS do you know how to tie?

How can I even respond to that? There is nothing I can say that will even remotely live up to the comment you just made....

If I had to take a wild guess I would say yes but I wouldnt place any bets:)

You figure Cocheese is probably totally green with envy right now?

:D
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

There has never been a knot tied to my wrist , and connected to a headboard that if DESIRED could not be disconnected

desired being the key word....

If certain bondage knots are tied by someone who knows how to do them for that express purpose (:$), desire won't get you free of them until they are untied for you. I know you don't like me, but you should trust me on this.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Ah, knots. There are hundreds, but if you know about a dozen you can do almost anything with a rope.

Well, well, well, Bill! Something we have in common?! I don't know if I ever would have suspected it if I hadn't stumbled onto it! :)
Some of my favorites are the Fisherman's Loop (which is a combination of 2 Overhand Knots to make a fixed loop); Archer's Loop; Trucker's Hitch; Tautline Hitch; Jug Sling; Fisherman's Bend; Figure Eight Loop...

And there's one special knot that will always be my favorite: the Monkey's Fist.

Imagine my surprise when I found out, after knowing the knot for 10 years, that it actually is a lifesaving knot, and not simply decorative, or for use with a heaving line. After all, every time I use my parachute to save my life, the knot is what I grab to do it! :ph34r:

-
-Jeffrey

The Carrick bend is an almost foolproof way to connect two ropes. The water knot is simpler and almost as good.

The clove hitch is pretty useful in sailing and rigging whenever you need to attach a rope to a pole (or other large object.)

Those are two that I've actually never been fond of.
I find that neither of them -- particularly the Clove Hitch, really hold that securely. I have yet to personally find an application where the Clove Hitch did a job I needed it for.

I also am reminded of the Timber Hitch, Constrictor Knot, and various Turk's Heads that I am very fond of. Oh, and the Lapp knot is a very good substitute for the Sheet Bend, but unlike the S.B., when tied slipped it can be easily undone and released under load!

A few months ago, I was sitting with a sticky-note pad and started jotting down the names of knots I can tie from memory, and I got up to about 45, without itemizing each type of Turk's Head to pad the list... :)

-
-Jeffrey

as a high angle rope rescue technician I am pretty familar with rope

half hitch
clove hitch
double overhand safety
munter hitch
prussik
water knot / also known as an "a" knot
figure 8
inline figure 8
figure 8 on a bight and retrace
bowline (which is no longer allowed for life safety, just utility)
Square knot
Oops knot( as in "Oops I tied a square not")
Granny knot
Monkey fist which is great in a street brawl:)
becket bend
butterfly

Is the California Love knot the same as a two hand drag knot?

edited b/c I cant' seem to spell anymore

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

There has never been a knot tied to my wrist , and connected to a headboard that if DESIRED could not be disconnected

desired being the key word....

edit to add, only the word desired was to be bold, however I cant figure out how to only make that bold.... [:/]

[I]fixed it for ya!

Has anyone tried the california love knot on you. It is used to drag people out of confined spaces when all you have access to is thier wrists. It starts like a hitch, so the more force that is applied to it the tighter it becomes.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192