pchapman

Materials being used as brake lines?

What is being used these days for brake lines on canopies, especially on higher performance ones?

Between it being winter and not having newer canopies around, I must admit I'm not sure what current practice is.

Are companies pretty much sticking with the same type of line the whole canopy is done with, but obviously heavier?

Eg, HMA for HMA lined canopies, Vectran for Vectran lined canopies?

I recall one company trying Dacron brake lines on their HMA lined canopies. I've made Spectra brake lines for my Vectran lined canopy -- since it was convenient, and I know Spectra wear characteristics better, although I have to deal with the shrinkage issue (i.e., build everything an inch or two longer and let it wear down towards the ideal setting.)

Precision, who pioneered the use of HMA on sport mains in the USA, is using 400lb Dacron for the mid and lower control lines.

Yes, that idea was beautiful IMO. Those work great for maintaining trim, has long wear, and seems to reduce chances of knots with brake parts (rings, toggles, risers) during opening.

Precision, who pioneered the use of HMA on sport mains in the USA, is using 400lb Dacron for the mid and lower control lines.

Yes, that idea was beautiful IMO. Those work great for maintaining trim, has long wear, and seems to reduce chances of knots with brake parts (rings, toggles, risers) during opening.

So why not use dacron lines for everything?

Because the size of dacron line increases pack volume and drag. Two lines of 400 lb however is a worthwhile compromise outside of swooping competition.

Also Dacron can stretch out of trim a bit, as opposed to spectra which shrinks... but in my experience it's not enough to matter when used for brake lines.

Because the size of dacron line increases pack volume and drag.

Oh my, how horrible! A few extra cubic inches in size and a few fractions of a mile per hour slower - they oughta ban the stuff! Nobody who is cool should be caught dead jumping that stuff.

Oh my, how horrible! A few extra cubic inches in size and a few fractions of a mile per hour slower - they oughta ban the stuff! Nobody who is cool should be caught dead jumping that stuff.

Nah, I know some cool people who enjoy the cushier openings provided by Dacron, and we CRW dogs like the doesn't-slice-through-flesh properties of Dacron as opposed to the razor wire feeling that other types of line exude when wrapped around an arm and pulled tight.

Nah, I know some cool people who enjoy the cushier openings provided by Dacron, and we CRW dogs like the doesn't-slice-through-flesh properties of Dacron as opposed to the razor wire feeling that other types of line exude when wrapped around an arm and pulled tight.

Oh my gosh, more good reasons for dacron lines. Who da thunk it! But, but, it's not "cool"! What's a skydiver to do? Jump what's cool, or jump what's safe and practical. I just don't know which is more important...

Oh my gosh, more good reasons for dacron lines. Who da thunk it! But, but, it's not "cool"! What's a skydiver to do? Jump what's cool, or jump what's safe and practical. I just don't know which is more important...

Hey John, there's not one answer for everyone. If there was, you'd be jumping a Manta.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Can you swoop a Manta?

Hi Doc!

Do I have to swoop to be cool too?

Darn, I'm getting less un-cool by the day.

What about a Pro-Tec helmet - are they cool?

I think I'm pretty cool, even though I jump a Manta, with dacron lines, wear a plastic helmet, and land straight-in. Oh well... Just call me a geek.

Folks are in a frisky mood around here tonight.
Must be springtime.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)