brierebecca

Job Search

Hi All,

I'm graduating from law school in December, and I've just started the job search. I'm looking for advice, and maybe a few connections. My husband and I are looking to move to the Atlanta or Chattanooga area. I'm sending out my first packets (with resume, cover letter, writing samples) on Monday. I know some of you are involved in HR. What advice would you give? How soon should I follow up my resume with a phone call? What should I emphasize?

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

My brother works at a law firm in Atlanta. They pay their damn INTERNS almost what I make!!! I'll PM you with his email.

Thank you so much Clay!

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

No offense to HR professionals, but what you really need to focus on is getting to hiring managers. I'm not in HR but I have been involved in hiring efforts before and a few job searches myself.

Yes, your skydiving friends may have connections, but honestly, your #1 place to start (and I'm sure you have) is with your law school (and college) alumni network. Start with places you or your friends have had internships. I know with b-school grads, that is an incredible source of job leads. Start with some good old-fashioned networking not saying "I'd like to know if you're hiring." Just ask for informational interviews. Then ask the person you meet with if they can suggest anyone else that would be good for you to talk to.

One site that I love for its advice is www.asktheheadhunter.com. It talks a lot about techniques for finding the jobs that aren't listed. A LOT never get actually published, or they're filled long before they are formally listed (and they're only formally listed to keep HR happy).

As for sending out packets - I don't know a lot about the law school recruiting world - that may be a viable technique. What I always do in a cover letter is say something like "I look forward to speaking to you soon. I will call you the week of [date] so that we can discuss next steps." Be specific about when you will follow up and then do it. I'd say one to two weeks is a reasonable follow up time. Now, if you've had an actual interview, you want to make sure the last question is "what are the next steps in this process?" and of course have a thank you letter or email out the next day, and follow up within about a week if you haven't heard.

What to emphasize? Be specific about what you want. Nothing frustrates me more about an interviewee or a cover letter that says "I'm looking for a challenging position that will allow me to grow blah blah blah blah blah." Focus! Even if your resume is going to 50 different types of jobs, focus on why that job at that company is the right job for you. AND why you're the right candidate for the job. You gotta make your case. Even if you think your resume is perfect and speaks for itself, use your cover letter to draw the lines. If you have a job description, use the cover letter to point out where your background supports those requirements.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Alright Krisanne...I've about had it. This is the Bonfire and you post entirely too much sensible shit.

:D:D;)

Good luck in your hunt Brie...maybe you can undo my last divorce money situation...not the divorce, just the money situation.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Alright Krisanne...I've about had it. This is the Bonfire and you post entirely too much sensible shit.

Sorry, Andy!

Brie, I forgot to mention - if the HR rep or hiring manager is female and attractive, be sure to introduce yourself by saying "Hi, I'm Brie. Can I touch your boobies?"

(Better?):D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke