FlyingJ

National next of kin registry

Hey folks – I’ve been meaning to send this link for sometime. It’s a way that you can register yourself in the national next of kin database. The database is used by most state governments, FEMA, Red Cross, etc. when trying to identify next of kin, typically in a disaster setting. It certainly can’t hurt to have your info there, and it also allows you to print out a card with your info that will direct someone to the database for your information.

I know it’s a little gruesome to think about needing, but after seeing how many people lose track of relatives after hurricanes I figure it is far better safe than sorry. You can register more than one person as a contact for you, and it is suggested that you always register at least one person that is not an immediate spouse or family member since it is likely that you would be with those people if something happened. Obviously it is a good idea to let the people you have registered as your next of kin know that they are listed, and also be sure to provide them with contact information for others that would need to be contacted (spouse’s next of kin, workplace, etc.).

http://nokr.org/nok/restricted/home.htm

jason.
Killing threads since 2004.