jono

Which AAD to buy???

Well the time has come for me to retire the Cypres unit that came with my 2nd hand rig and buy a new unit.I'm considering buying a Vigil over a Cypres2 because of the extra 8 YEARS of life compared to Cypres2.I have no plans to get my rig wet (no pond swooping 4 me thanks) so can't see any advantage in the waterproof side of things. However asked my rigger what he thought of Vigils and he said he has never fitted one yet and really hasn't heard anything good or bad about them and if it was him, to go with what you know!!! Not a lot of help! Can anyone offer any views as to the pros and cons of choosing a Vigil AAD over the tried and tested Cypres2??
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

Besides Cypres and Vigil, also search on Argus (a.o. see sticky ... about only cypres and argus aproved in RI rigs)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

CYPRES has been used for more than a decade now with how many millions of jumps? I say you can't argue with a track record like that.

Karl Eakins
Team Flew-id Freestyle

I agree. The cypress is the only AAD I would buy. I don't have a desire to be a test jumper with that component of my rig.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

without starting a bashing war, don't forget that track records has it's number of misfires, failed fires product recalls, information 'goofups' etc. etc.

Airtec has the most experience on the surface and the cypres was the first 'save' AAD in sports parachuting which paved the way for modern AAD mentality. But they don't have the holy grail, they have made even very recent mistakes, which had their concequences.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

CYPRES has been used for more than a decade now with how many millions of jumps? I say you can't argue with a track record like that.

Karl Eakins
Team Flew-id Freestyle

My properly maintained Cypres misfired. No explanation could be found. They are no more foolproof than any other AAD.

I jump the Argus AAD now. I was one of the first jumpers to have a Cypres a long time ago. I don't mind being one of the first to have an Argus.