sweetmoose

what to see

OK, me and my girlfriend are going to Europe next month, and I could look online for where to go, but with my slow ass internet it's easier to ask you guys. My destinations are London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, and Athens, curious where the cool places to see are, whether they are restraunts, bars, clubs, sightseeing, historical, or whatever, just want to go to cool places. I appreciate the help.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Wow... How long are you going to be in each place? It sounds like you are going to be covering a lot of space :)

If you're only in London for a short time, then the open top bus tours are a good option. They'll take you to a load of the main sights and you can buy tickets that give you priority entry into many of the main venues.

Depending on your tastes, London has SOOO much to see. Hell, I spent the weekends of our first 3 months in the country at Foyles bookstore :D

I'd certainly recommend the Tower of London (and if you can get those ravens to scram, I'd really appreciate it!). The British Museum is awesome if you're into that kind of thing (not sure what they have on at the moment).

Covent Garden is great to visit as well. There's almost always something going on, and some cool places to eat and drink around there.

A walk along the Embankment at night is normally quite good too. You can see Cleopatra's needle and other neat things we stole from that part of the world.

Things to think about - find reasonable accomodation in advance and get someone who lives in London to give you an opinion on it. There are lots of places that claim to be central, but that aren't. There are also lots of shitty hotels here.

Travel - you will probably want to make good use of the tubes , so get an unlimited travelcard to cover your time here, but don't buy zones that you don't think you'll need. If you're just going to be in the city, just get a Zone 1 ticket. If you want to venture further afield, you might be better getting a 1-6 so that you aren't limited but that does cost more.

With the tubes, use a street map as well. Don't do what I did when I first got here and travel from Picadilly Circus to Leicester Square on the tube, only to pop out and look at the entrance to Picadilly circus :) A lot of the time it's quicker to walk than to take a tube :)

As I said above, open top buses are a good way of seeing a lot and the better ones include a riverboat tour. That lets you see a lot of riverside london in just an hour or two.

Personally, I prefer London by night. The city is completely different to how it looks during the day. Instead of gray and dirty, it is lit up and colorful. The whackos come out at night, which makes it more interesting too.

If you want a really nice night out, book a riverboat dinner. I took my wife on one for her birthday last year and it almost made up for all the time she'd spent sat on DZs last year ;)

The coolest things I've seen so far in Paris are as follows (apologies in advance to all Parisians for mangling the spelling here!) :
Arc De Triomphe
Notre Dame
Eiffel Tower
Sacre Coeur

London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, and Athens

So, 2 days each? :ph34r:

Someone covered London already... We enjoyed Camden Market too.

Paris: from Notre Dame, to the Louvre, the Eiffel tower and the Trocadero, Les Jardins du Luxembourg, the Pere Lachaise cimetary, window shopping on Les Champs Elysees, eating at any small place (how much do you want to spend? lol), etc...

AMS: only hung out there a few times, but the Van Gogh museum is very cool, and walking all around town.

Rome: Just explore to roman ruins.. its awesome.

Athens: havent been enough to say.
Remster

We're actually doing three nights in each city, so it should be enough to see some good stuff. I don't know a whole lot about the places, in London, I want to see Big Ben and the different historical stuff like the palace and crown jewels and shit, in Paris I definately want to see the Eiffel Tower, but not sure what else, don't know what to see in Amsterdam, in Rome I want to see the coloseum and other historical stuff, love history, and in Athens not sure what to see, thanks for the advice so far, I pretty much know what I kinda want to see historically wise in London and Rome, it's more what to see in Paris, Amsterdam, and Athens, especially historical and nightlife kind of stuff. What are these places exactly Trocadero, Les Jardins du Luxembourg, the Pere Lachaise cimetary, window shopping on Les Champs Elysees. Price is somewhat of a factor, but not much, I make enough that I want to experience as much as possible, I'm planning on doing tandems in Italy, (be my girlfriends first and my third) but better prices is always good, thanks again.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Pere Lachaise is a really cool cemetery - it's HUGE and lots of famous literary, scientific, political and artistic figures are buried there. You'll recognize a lot of names. It's also where Jim Morrison is buried, but I thought the grave was kind of a sad thing - people have really trashed the area around it and shown a lot of disrespect for the cemetery itself ... but the rest of the cemetery is really fascinating and you'll be surprised at all the names you recognize. Plus, it's all above-ground ground (like in New Orleans).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke