JumpNFly

Help with a paper

So I'm in the process of writing one of my 2 papers for school next week and I'm stuck on one of them... I figured someone could help...
So my paper is on "The Raven" but the symbolism of the poem... and I've got pretty much everything except the word "nevermore"... can't damn figure it out... HELP!!!! anyone, anyone... pppplease!!!!!!

The key to walking on water... Is knowing where the rocks are

I don't know if what I'm about to say is really going to be all that helpful, but I'll share anyways.

Poe wrote an essay titled "The Philosophy of Composition" which has stired up a bit of controversy in the literary world. The essay is about how to compose the ideal poem. He does talk about "The Raven" in this essay and reading if might help you write your paper.

I found this off of a google search... me rambling about what I think he said would not have been helpful... the below quote should be helpful. Infact, I wrote a paper on Poe about 6 months ago.. if you want to read it.

"In the essay Poe also discusses his method of composing “The Raven.” He claims to have given much thought to his selection of the refrain, recognizing in it the “pivot upon which the whole structure might turn.” His selection of the word “Nevermore” came after considering his need for a single, easily remembered word that would allow him to vary the meaning of the lines leading up to it. The poem uses this refrain, or variations of it, as the closing word for each stanza. The stanzas become increasingly dramatic as the speaker makes observations or asks questions that reveal his growing tension and diminishing reason. The narrator begins with innocent and amusing remarks that build in a steady crescendo to intense expressions of grief, all of which conclude with “Nevermore” or one of its variants."