mudgeit

Selling gear to someone overseas?

I'm about to sell a canopy to someone overseas. Can anyone give me some tips so it all goes smoothly and that I don't get scammed. [.:/]

Keep in mind that it works both ways. An honest buyer has every reason to be just as concerned about you. I recently sold a helmet to a gentleman in Scotland (I live in Texas) and he asked that I call him. No problem there. After talking for a few minutes we both had a pretty good comfort level with each other. He paid using PayPal and I e-mailed him a copy of the shipping paperwork I scanned. I don't expect any problems at all and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Depending on where you are shipping and what shipping company you are using, COD might be a good idea. Or maybe ship it to a 3rd party, e.g., his DZ.

What country is the buyer in?

Walt

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on eBay, but just to save money or get rid of stuff I no longer needed, never as a business. There is a very simple rule regarding overseas sales: Unless you are running a business, they are a HUGE waste of time!!!

Among the headaches:
- Customs bureaucracy, including the buyer getting stuck with tarriffs when he receives the package.
- Shippers that rip off the buyer in outlandish surcharges that aren't revealed up front, (I'm talking about UPS Canada).
- Delivery times measured in WEEKS.
- High shipping charges that cause the buyer to expect you to spend your time shopping around for better rates.
- Inability to get tracking numbers.

Alternatives:
- Find someone traveling to a destination near the buyer and have him take it in his luggage.
- Ask the buyer to give you a destination of a friend or relative in your own country; Ship it to them; Then let them deal with the overseas shipping.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm about to sell a canopy to someone overseas. Can anyone give me some tips so it all goes smoothly and that I don't get scammed. [.:/]

i'm looking to BUY something overseas, and feel the same way as you do!

Good luck with that!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM