fcajump

Gear Checks - Don't forget the pilot.

Another discussion that came up about a jumper with a loose chest strap, reminded me that I wanted to relate this experience...

I was visiting a dropzone several years ago. While waiting for the load to gear up I was standing outside the hanger with an individual who I quickly guessed to be the pilot.

While talking with him I saw that there was a problem with his chest strap... he had looped it around the friction adapter (not properly threaded through it) and slapped it down on the velcro retainer (used on this rig rather than an elastic keeper.)

Being a visitor, I did not want to come off with an attitude, so I just "teased" him that if he ever had to bailout that the 'chute he was wearing was not going to do him any good. Fortunately this "joke" got his full attention, and we had an impromptu lesson on the proper use of the friction adapter and I gave him a pin check (full system check).

My lesson learned was that even a visitor can catch things. Also, he told me that he had been droping jumpers for YEARS and never been taught how to put on his emergency system, nor been given a pin check.

STOP taking your pilot for granted. They often know as much about their emergency parachute and how to wear/deploy/fly/land it as the typical jumper knows about the plane.

DZO's / S&TAs / Riggers / Instructors, take the time to properly brief this wuffo (pilot) on how to jump. Yes its different than teaching a skydiving student, but they deserve to benefit from our knowledge too.

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...