YISkyDive

Any Mamba updates?

Total Parasitic drag = Form (or Profile) Drag + Skin-friction Drag.

Total drag is made up of Parasitic Drag + Induced Drag.

The difference is that your parasitic drag includes the drag from the lines, jumper and canopy, while I am considering the drag due to lines and jumper to be different from the drag from the canopy skin.

In parachute applications, I think it is more convenient to separate them, even is it is not "proper."

I think you're still confused. Parasitic drag is made up of form drag and skin-friction drag. The jumper, lines, and canopy all have skin-friction drag as well as form(profile) drag. It is basic aerodynamics. Since we are connected to the canopy, the drag we make is affecting the flight of the canopy. You could seperate the 2, but that wouldn't make any sense.

I could also include Interference drag in the equation of parasitic drag. This is caused by the wake of one part affecting the drag of another. This value is usually only a big deal when dealing with larger aircraft or aircraft travelling at high speed.

Form (Profile) Drag is a Parasitic Drag
Skin-Friction Drag is a Parasitic Drag
Interference Drag is a Parasitic Drag

Add them up and you get total Parasitic Drag

Add Parasitic Drag to Induced Drag and you get Total Drag.

If you don't believe me, just google it.

"I promise, I will never die."

Total Parasitic drag = Form (or Profile) Drag + Skin-friction Drag.

Total drag is made up of Parasitic Drag + Induced Drag.

The difference is that your parasitic drag includes the drag from the lines, jumper and canopy, while I am considering the drag due to lines and jumper to be different from the drag from the canopy skin.

In parachute applications, I think it is more convenient to separate them, even is it is not "proper."

I think you're still confused. Parasitic drag is made up of form drag and skin-friction drag. The jumper, lines, and canopy all have skin-friction drag as well as form(profile) drag. It is basic aerodynamics. Since we are connected to the canopy, the drag we make is affecting the flight of the canopy. You could seperate the 2, but that wouldn't make any sense.

I could also include Interference drag in the equation of parasitic drag. This is caused by the wake of one part affecting the drag of another. This value is usually only a big deal when dealing with larger aircraft or aircraft travelling at high speed.

Form (Profile) Drag is a Parasitic Drag
Skin-Friction Drag is a Parasitic Drag
Interference Drag is a Parasitic Drag

Add them up and you get total Parasitic Drag

Add Parasitic Drag to Induced Drag and you get Total Drag.

If you don't believe me, just google it.

Did you read where I conceded you were correct? There is no confusion. I simply pointed out that it is useful with parachute applications to separate profile drag from the broader classification of parasitic drag. It may not be proper, but it is very useful.

Check here to help understand why. It deals with helicopters, but it is very easy to see the similarities with parachutes.

For Great Deals on Gear