Hawkins121

Lotus VS Pilot

I love the rigidity of the wing in turbulent air.. rock solid with no end cell closures....

I've never had end cell closures on my pilot, and i've hit some insane turbulence before

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

To those who have jumped both...

I tend to think of the Lotus as being more like a Saber2 than a Pilot.

Meaning, the Lotus openings are a bit more "interesting". It's a bit more prone to off-heading openings than the pilot, and it is also a bit more succesptable to the effects of leaning in the harness during opening than the pilot. Those are usually seen as negatives.

The flipside is that it's a sportier canopy once its open. The Lotus will lose more altitude in a turn, will turn quicker and sharper than a Pilot, and will plane out better when you learn to nail the flare. These are usually seen as positives.

The Lotus is airlocked which adds some stability in turbulence, but its biggest effect is that it keeps the wing pressurized during slow flight. This should help during low/no wind landings.

It's been a while since I've flown the Lotus, so my memory may be a bit off. I have flown the Lotus, the Pilot, and the Sabre2 all at the same wingloading. All 3 are great intermediate canopies when flown at an appropriate wingloading.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.