DocPop

USPA Licences in the UK

Does the BPA fully recognize USPA licenses? In other words, if I move the UK, will the BPA match my current USPA license level, or does it not even matter?

Thanks!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

You should be able to get temporary BPA membership if you are only there for a week or so, however if you are staying longer then you will need full membership (and it's not cheap).

Aside from that all the usual stuff (logbook, etc) are needed, but the CCI (Chief instructor) should recognise your US qualifications assuming you are current. The only issue may be if you do not have the international (FAI) licence, in which case you will have to get the UK version of one. To get different levels there are certain pre-determined tests that need to be passed (packing, canopy control, spotting etc). If you can prove that you have already achieved these then there SHOULD be no problems - but everything is always under the CCIs discretion.

Blue skies

Paul

Thanks Paul. That was very helpful.

Personally I found the BPA website to be completely useless at answering this question.

I looked at the BPA requirements for A, B, C and D and they look broadly similar to the USPA ones.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

With 100+ jumps and a B license you should have no problems jumping in the UK provided you are current and have a fully up to date and complete logbook (so spend a few mnutes checking it is complete & signed before you go to the dz).

UK and USPA 'A 'licnses aren't exactly equivalent but by the time you get to B licenses they are broadly similar.

You'll need to join the BPA in order to jump in the UK, either temp. membership for 30 days or full member if you are staying a while.

You also need a medical form - you can self declare yourself fit to skydive if you ar under 40 and have no previous medical conditions. Over 40 or pre-existing conditions require a doctor to complete a BPA medical form.

Expect to have your gear checked and documents inspected at each DZ you jump at. Make sure your reserve is in date and you have the paperwork with the rig and if you have a vigil you'll can prove the date of the cutter!

If you are uncurrent, or don't have your paperwork then call the DZ you are hoping to jump at to discuss it with them. Each DZ will have a CCI (centre chief instructor) who has the final say on any safety matters at the dz and there can be quite a bit of variability between them!

Hope this helps! Oh and bring lots of layers and some gloves.... it's still not warm here!

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

I'm in the UK right now. I was expecting to work all weekend but it didn't end up happening. There's a DZ 30 mins from where I'm working. I wasn't expecting to get a jump but I went down there anyway. All I have is my C license card. No go obviously and I wasn't surprised or annoyed about it. They basically said that I need my log book as above. If I come back for work again, I'll bring my log book for sure. If I'm here over a weekend I'll bring my gear too. :)

Does the BPA fully recognize USPA licenses? In other words, if I move the UK, will the BPA match my current USPA license level, or does it not even matter?

Thanks!

I had a few issues when I was jumping over there one summer, particularly at Hib. I had already been jumping at Langar for a month and when I got to Hib they wanted me to do a cat 8 and cat something or other else (X point freefly, X point 5 or 8 way jump, etc, etc.). After an hour of going over all my stuff they let me go. If I remember correctly you have to have a cypres too, so I would double check on that one before you head over and don't have a cypres.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)