RALFFERS

Vision - 20/32

I'm still confused though. Your corrected vision isn't 20/20. Can it be? Is it just time for a new prescription?

Dave

Yeah I have the same question. You say it's 20/32 with glasses on. You do know that you can need a new prescription every year right?

And you do realize that there are more components to vision than refractive error, right? :P The only thing that glasses do is get light to focus on the retina instead of in front of it (nearsightedness) or behind it (farsightedness) or with presbyopia (lens inside the eye no longer changing shape to change focus distance).

What if the cornea is diseased? The retina? The lens? The neurological system? There are many many things that will impair the ability to see, things that glasses can't help. With the history of neuro issues, it's possible that the eye is great, the visual signal from the eye to the brain is great, but the brain can no longer interpret visual data as well.

That is why I always say that it's CORRECTED vision that matters, not what you see without glasses. There are a lot of people in the world that can not see 20/20 due to issues far beyond glasses.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I'm still confused though. Your corrected vision isn't 20/20. Can it be? Is it just time for a new prescription?

Dave

As far as I know - and I'm not the doctor here - corrected vision can never be 20/20 (excluding lasik). It can be close to perfect, but not perfect.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

yup understood. However a very valid question is when did you last have your presription changed?

Also Lasik won't correct most if not all the things you described.

Refractive surgery won't do a thing for any of the issues I described. But the way it's advertised, as some kind of miracle has people thinking otherwise. I get asked daily by people with vision impairments why they can't get refractive surgery. They just don't understand that all it does is mold the cornea to match the glasses/contacts script. And I've seen some less than ethical surgeons do refractive surgery on patients who are not candidates due to other issues just to get the money, and then the patients are upset that they still can't see. :S

Dave

As far as I know - and I'm not the doctor here - corrected vision can never be 20/20 (excluding lasik). It can be close to perfect, but not perfect.

Nope, not true. YOUR corrected vision may never be 20/20, that's based on your eye and neuro health, but for the general public, 'normal' vision is CORRECTED 20/20 (often even 20/15... better than 20/20)

LASIK/refractive surgery (in an ideal surgical case) allows you to read the same line on the chart after surgery without glasses exactly the same line as you did before surgery WITH glasses.

So if you correct to 20/30 right now with glasses, if you had refractive surgery, you would see best case scenario 20/30 after surgery without glasses.

What you should be finding out from your eye doc is why you are uncorrectable to 20/20, and what, if anything, you can do about it.

yup understood. However a very valid question is when did you last have your prescription changed?

Also Lasik won't correct most if not all the things you described.

This is my 1 and only prescription, - so far. My last actual eye exam for the sake of it being just an eye exam was a few months ago.....whenever I posted about my sight going blurry suddenly and thus being all freaked out. The doc then said:

Your vision has worsened a tad bit, but it's not enough for me to change your prescription yet.

Edited to add: I've had these glasses for 2.5 years.

It sounds like you need to get a lot more information from your eye doctor.

What is your visual acuity with a new refraction?
What is your visual acuity with your 2.5 year old glasses?
Do you have any other eye/neuro health issues going on?

These would be good starter questions. Your doc should be educating you regarding your eye health during your exams, so you really shouldn't have all this confusion, if the doc isn't spending time educating you, he's not doing his job.... any monkey can flip lenses around, that doesn't take a rocket scientist, what differentiates docs is their ability to teach you about your own visual system.

You're not a 'typical' patient, so you really should be phoning your doctor's office and ask your questions, not asking total strangers without any background in neuro vision issues for advice. (Granted, I have a crapload of neuro vision background, but even I can't answer your questions since I have never examined you and your questions are very specific to you). You pay us for information.... so make sure you're getting it!

What you should be finding out from your eye doc is why you are uncorrectable to 20/20, and what, if anything, you can do about it.

Along with my nearsightedness I also have a minor astigmatism.

Along with my nearsightedness I also have a minor astigmatism.

Nearsightedness and astigmatism are totally normal and has nothing to do with eye health. If all you have going on is myopia/astig, you should be correctable to 20/20 with glasses/contacts. If no matter what glasses you have on your head, even new ones, you see no better than 20/30, then something else is going on and THAT is what you need to find out.

It really sounds like there's a serious lapse in the communication between you and your doc.

Thanks for providing those starter questions; I'll be phoning and/or going to see the doc this week.

1 other question though: what do you mean by: 'I'm not the "typical" patient?

I'm not offended or anything, I'm just curious what you mean. if it's my disability you have in mind - although C.P. can, and often does affect sight, I don't think it did in my case. I've only been wearing these glasses a couple years...and before that my vision was fine.

It's partly the neuro end of it that makes you less typical.... CP can affect far more than visual acuity. It can affect how the eyes work together as a team, accommodative dysfunction (trouble changing focus from distance to near, blurred vision at distance after prolonged reading), eye alignment issues (trouble following a line on a page, trouble concentrating while reading, occasionally depth perception issues).... There's a lot more to vision than just what line you can read on the chart :)
It's also though that if your best corrected vision really is only 20/30, that all by itself isn't 'typical'. A 'typical' patient does see 20/20 with best possible glasses/contacts.

Edited to add... how long you've been wearing glasses (a couple of years) have absolutely nothing to do with whether nor not CP affects your vision. All glasses do is bend light, that's it. It corrects for basically the physics of how light is bent in the eye... myopia, hyperopia, and presbyopia are all by products of the size and shape of the eye not working perfectly together to get light in perfect focus on the retina. That's where glasses come in. Glasses are totally unrelated to health issues.