BillyVance

College Football's 2009 Heisman Trophy discussion

Been a pretty interesting year thus far. The much-hyped Heisman trophy battle between QBs Colt McCoy of Texas, Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Tim Tebow of Florida never materialized after an intense and exciting 2008 campaign. Tim's numbers are way down, though he leads the Gators in rushing. Sam hurt his shoulder twice and missed about 90% of the season. Colt McCoy is the only one of the three that has put up respectable numbers, but still, they're nowhere near as incredible as the stats Tebow put up 2 years ago and Bradford last year during their Heisman seasons.

Surprising stars have emerged, such as Toby Gerhart of Stanford, C.J. Spiller of Clemson, and Mark Ingram of Alabama, who incidentally, is the current leader in a straw poll of respected Heisman think-tanks, or whoever it is being mentioned on TV or in print.

None of them have eye-popping stats either. The only one I've seen so far with ridiculous numbers is Case Keenum, the QB at Houston. He's averaging 400 yards a game. The problem with him is Houston is in Conference USA, and they play a weakish schedule. Not taking anything away from their surprise wins over Big 12 teams Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, but they blew it big time at UTEP and UCF. The Notre Dame QB, Jimmy Clausen, is putting up some good numbers, but his team has lost enough games to drop him out of the discussion.

Gerhart and Ingram have un-Heisman-like stats, yes, but they are among the best running backs in the country. Ingram plays in the rough and tumble SEC, and Gerhart in the PAC10. The PAC10 may be the best league from top to bottom, but the SEC boasts many of the top defenses in the country, including the top two.

I don't know much about Gerhart, but I can tell you a bit about Ingram. He's only a sophomore, but is a special talent. He shows up best in the big games against the better defenses, averaging about 180 yards per game in those, and 140+/- per game overall. He has I believe, only 10 TDs, but the thing about him is, he has way more rushes of 30 yards or more than anybody else in the country. He is arguably the most explosive RB this year. Spiller of Clemson is another special back, who is one of the rare players to have scored a TD 5 different ways (pass, rush, receive, punt return and kickoff return). I don't know his stats, but he has entered the discussion this past week.

Personally, if I had a choice, I'd give the Heisman trophy to Colt McCoy, who's a senior this year. Ingram can come back next year and get the trophy then. I want Alabama to get the national championship this year first more than anything else. And also, given the track record of the last 8 Heisman winners to play in the BCS title game, only 1 won it. Let McCoy have the trophy so Bama can take the crystal football home. :ph34r: Ingram will have to bust wide open at Auburn and against Florida in the SEC title game, and the trophy is his. If Florida bottles him up and wins, while McCoy stays consistent, the trophy should go to McCoy.

Anybody have their 2 cents to add?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm in favor of Spiller. The guy is just electric every time he touches the football and does things in multiple ways. His numbers are pretty good, too, when you add up returns, rushing, and receiving.

I'm an ACC guy, though, so I've seen a lot more of his games and am probaly biased that way.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

It's on Thursday and Friday nights, too.

And Wednesday nights for the first time this season too. :S Mostly teams from the same shitty conference Ball State is in. Yeah, like who's gonna watch that on TV? :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm in favor of Spiller. The guy is just electric every time he touches the football and does things in multiple ways. His numbers are pretty good, too, when you add up returns, rushing, and receiving.

I'm an ACC guy, though, so I've seen a lot more of his games and am probaly biased that way.

I agree with you. I wish he'd gone to an SEC school though. I bet his numbers would come down quite a bit. ;)

I remember Alabama shut him down last year except for the kickoff to the 3rd quarter that he ran back for a TD, the only one Clemson scored all game. He's a senior this year too so he should have a fair crack at the trophy.