murrays

Superduper! Mac Software

Just posting a product recommendation for Mac users out there...the backup software Superduper! is awesome! I have been using it for years to make bootable backups of my work and home hard drives. Tonight I used it to install a larger hard drive in my MacBook.

1 - Put new drive in external drive enclosure and plug into computer
2 - Open Disk Utility and partition external hard drive as a Mac OS Extended Journaling on volume
3 - Name the hard drive Macintosh HD (Same as the old drive)
4 - Restart the computer and hold down the shift key which prevents any login programs, etc. from starting
5 - Start Superduper! and have it make a bootable backup of Macintosh HD on the new drive
6 - Go out for a while...my 225 GB took just under 4 hours to be evaluated and backed up.
7 - After backup complete, shut down the computer, unplug it and remove the old hard drive
8 - Install the new hard drive
9 - Plug in the computer and start it up.
10 It took a while to restart...likely recognized that the hardware was different....but was good to go.
11 - Go to System Preferences, startup volume, select the Macintosh HD as the start up volume and exit.

I thought this was pretty easy...it sure worked well and I now have a 500gb 7200 rpm hd in my MacBook instead of the 250 gb 5400 rpm drive which I also used Superduper! to transfer everything but in a less direct fashion.

It is a program that just does its limited job extremely well. The tech support is excellent...they told me the above procedure...and answer emails in a timely fashion.

You can find it at Shirt Pocket Software
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey