skyyd1ve

borrowing a canopy? preferably at the ranch in ny?

hey everyone -
i'm not sure if this question is meant to be posted in this forum, but it seemed to be most fitting:
i feel ready to downsize to a 150 sq. foot canopy (yes, i realize i only have 36 jumps)...however, i'm light and have felt very comfortable under a 170 sq. foot canopy.
i am wondering if anyone who reads this jumps at the ranch or knows anyone who does and who could lend me a 150?
i'm not sure how else to go about doing this, since i'm not able to rent a 150 for the day. i e-mailed PD for a demo, and i'm on a waiting list as of now, but i was just curious if i could find anyone to lend me one for a short time, because i'd like to jump as soon as possible =)
thank you!

I would suggest you contact Sonic at the Ranch Pro Shop at the Ranch. He's the owner of the gear store there, and they do have quite a few demo canopies available at the store.
He will also be able to evaluate your skills and help placing you under an appropriate canopy - the Ranch can have some strange currents of air, so I would definitely advice you to talk to Sonic or other instructors there if you have not jumped at that DZ before.

Safe skies!
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc.
Blue Skies Magazine

Please don't be in such a rush to downsize. If you are going to demo a new canopy at a different DZ, it's a good idea to make a bunch of jumps on your own canopy at that DZ first, then downsize slowly. Seek advice from instructors and gear dealers, and don't push yourself too far at this level.

The gear store at The Ranch is called The Pro Shop, and the owner/manager is Sonic. He is a master rigger, AFF Instructor, and S&TA. He is also a pioneer in the swooping world, and teaches canopy control at all levels. He has a pretty good handle on what kind of parachutes are appropriate for jumpers at different experience levels.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Why do you want to downsize to a smaler canopy? Your profile says you are already jumping a Sabre 135.

Sparky

i bought my own gear, including a 135 because that is what i'd eventually like to be jumping...i was just downsizing in between because i obviously didn't want to go from student gear to a 135 =)

I would suggest you contact Sonic at the Ranch Pro Shop at the Ranch. He's the owner of the gear store there, and they do have quite a few demo canopies available at the store.
He will also be able to evaluate your skills and help placing you under an appropriate canopy - the Ranch can have some strange currents of air, so I would definitely advice you to talk to Sonic or other instructors there if you have not jumped at that DZ before.

Safe skies!
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc.

Thank you =) I did talk to him, but he doesn't have any 150's to borrow, and probably won't for some time. I will talk to him more about my canopy skills so far, though.