pertierr

Possibly dumb idea for new altimeter design?

I'm not an advanced skydiver by any means, but it seems that the bulk of injuries are caused by low hook turns in which the jumper misjudges the altitude

Would it help to have a digital altimeter which would produce a set of audible beeps in which either the pitch or repeat rate matches the altitude over ground level? They could start at a set altitude(100feet or so?), and this way the jumper could have accurate altitude measurement all the way down without having to look at the altimeter. Not meant to replace skill, just give another measurement input.

I'm an engineer, sometimes I can't help it. :D
Juan

The latest Neptune upgrade added a set of canopy alarms- you get two, three and four beeps at three preprogrammed altitudes. I have mine set so the first alarm sounds when I'm beginning my setup, the second slightly above the optimum altitude to begin my turn and the third at an altitude where I can still pull off a turn without having to dig out hard- basically a signal to abort if I haven't started the turn yet.

Personally, I love it, both as an added safety and as a training tool for altitude perception.

>...Would it help to have a digital altimeter which would produce a set of audible beeps in which either the pitch or repeat rate matches the altitude over ground level? They could start at a set altitude(100feet or so?), and this way the jumper could have accurate altitude measurement all the way down without having to look at the altimeter...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Oh, please no! Once something like this becomes popular, it won't be but a few years before some DZO nazis start making them mandatory. [:/].

Cheers,
Jon

Well it's already been stated that the neptune fulfills this function so I won't go into that, but those of you who've read my posts know that I am a PRO neptune for HP landings kinda guy. HOWEVER I do see a trend of people thinking it's an infallible option. I read and hear, well my neptune said it was ok so I did X turn.

Here's where I start to agree with people like Diablopilot who say use your eyes. Guys, be careful out there. Your eyes can lie, but so can the neptune, there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE so using your neptune, eyes, and experience are the factors that will keep you safer.

Try not to depend on any one of the three, but use all three together to make an educated decision.

Blues
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

The beeping option for the Neptune is scary. It's one thing to have a visual readout of your altitude, as a refernece, but a signal of a specific altitude when a swoop is OK has too many grey areas.

Borrowing a smaller canopy, wearing lead, or visiting a DZ with an off-field landing area (as in different msl alti's) are a few.

Here's the thing with learning how to swoop (if done correctly), you start with a lower w/l, and a small turn, both of which contribute to a relatively low turn altitude, which is easier to eyeball. At these alti's the Neptune visual display can be used to assist in flying your pattern, but once your on your "final" leg (as in no more turns except your swoop), you should focus on your eyeballs. With enough jumps at this level, you get to know your sight picture pretty well. When you nove up a notch in the size of your turn (and need to throw it higher), your sight picture will change, but the sight picture you know, is an idcator that you're too low for the bigger turn.

By the time you work your way up to a serious canopy, and bigger turns, and you need to throw them from 900 or 1000 ft. (where it may be harder to accurately eyeball) you've the experience, and the increased time in your turn, as well increased control of the dive your turn produces, to take a good guess with your eyeball, toss your turn, and keep evaluating your progress as you proceed though your turn, speeding it up, or slowing it down as needed.

Rewind to the Neptue beeping thingy. New swooper 'A' uses it to learn his 90's. It works well, and soon he takes a guess at how high he wants to go for a 180. The whole 'guess' part is scary enough, but if he pulls that off, he goes on to guess for a bigger turn. The end result is a guy who's throwing big (read: complicated) turns without the experience to handle any unusual situations such as mid-turn traffic, turbulence, ground based traffic, or off field landigns where a solid 90 might be the best landing for you (last minute power lines, myabe) but your Neptune is set for a 450, and you've only got a handfull of electronicly assisted 90's under your belt.

Scary.

Scary.

Yep, very.

People are looking for the "magical" recipe for swooping. Problem is that there is none. All there are, are tools to help make it a little easier, but you have to know when and how it's appropriate to use them. This is kinda what I was getting at. Relying on a beep isn't the way to go.

I think we both agree, there are NO SHORTCUTS in swooping.

Blues bro,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team