jheadley

Reducing Tension on Oxygn Visor

I just bought a used Oxygn helmet in very good condition. It's the older kind with the button on top. I have found it very difficult to pull the visor up while the helmet is on my head. I even removed the button on top, and disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the visor and the pivoting mechanism and it is still very hard to pull up even with two hands, and it's impossible when I've tried it with gloves on. Any fixes to this? This is my first full face helmet, but I used a Z1 once and it was nowhere near this difficult to flip the visor up.

Thanks

on the very rare occasion of actually wearing a full face, i have the shield removed and jump with sunglasses....else you can just leave it closed all the time...or get yourself a bigger hammer, and fix it the man-way!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

loosening the screws makes the inner ratchet part pop out. Which way are the rachets suppose to go in? With the visor closed, should the spring be facing the back or the front of the helmet? It looks like either could work, but the spring may make the difference.

Also, it doesn't seem to want to fully close. When the visor is put down, part of the rubber on the top catches on the button and allows it to flip up without depressing the button. Hmm. I think I'm going to buy a Z1. [:/]

I read the reviews and others have problems with the force of visor openings. They say that it will eventually "break in" and get easier with time. Since my helmet is relatively new, I'm assuming that's part of the problem. I closed and opened the visor around 100 times and it's considerably easier now. Maybe I should put some kind of lubrication on the inner racheting part?
I'll keep the Oxygn... for now...

The springs on the ratchets face towards the visor. If you put the rachets in with the springs facing the back of the helmet your lens will gap at the top.
There is a letter on the back of the rachets that specifies which side the rachet goes on. Also you only want to loosen the screws just slightly not enough so that the plate is loose. If you tighten the screws as tight as they will go then back it off a little then the rachets should not pop out but it will relieve some of the tension on the visor. You should do this with the screws at the top and the bottom of the plate.