PhreeZone

Airplane bone yard access?

Anyone know how to go about getting access to go through some of the bone yards out there? I've seen the tours at some of the military bone yards but I am more looking for access to go access commercial scrap yards and purchase materials but I'm coming up short on figuring this out. I know there are a ton of "pick your own" scrap yards for cars everywhere but we seem to be coming up short on anything like this for planes. We are looking to get some scrapped out pieces to use as furniture for a project space and while there are some dealers out there (MotoArt, etc) their prices are stupid expensive and the group I was working with has a decent amount of metal working experience so figured we'd try to save a shit ton of money and try to make some of it ourselves. We are looking for wings, rudders, large cowlings (like DC9/737), old seats, etc. Beat up, crashed, non-airworthy is what we are looking for.

Anyone got any ideas?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You may not be able to find a lot of places that are letting parts go without them costing a shit ton of money because they're usually banking that they have a part that you need to get your expensive ass airplane in the air again.

Believe it or not, I've seen a LOT on Craigslist as well as the usual Barnstormers, Controller, AOPA (though you may need to be a member to see the forum), Pilots of America

There's a ton other sites out there, but that should be a decent start.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Desert airports (like Mojave and California City) often store old airliners. For example the old Cal City DZ hangar is now occupied by a company that buys up old Gulfstream executive jets and "parts them out." According to Aviation and Space Weekly Magazine airliners as young as 8 years old are being dismantled to provide spare parts to keep their litter-mates airworthy. "Lifed" components like engines are usually the first to be sold off. Then expensive avionics, hydraulic valves, etc. eventually they are left with a gutted airframe that can only be sold for its scrap metal value. That is when you want to place your bid. You may have to drive to the desert airport and cut parts off the hulk yourself.
Parting-out old airliners is a multi-million dollar business with lots of bartering and trading and negotiations.
The key to low prices is getting an inside connection that will set aside cracked and rusted components destined to be melted down. Your buddies will have to repaint them before a they can sell them to the furniture-buying public.