skychicken

Does anyone jump with a Sentinel mk 2000?

I'm new to DZ.com so sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd like some input on my Sentinel.

I've heard from younger riggers that it is unreliable, but I've heard from older jumpers/riggers that it is perfectly reliable (and younger riggers just don't know much about it). I did my first 37 jumps with it and felt fine, but now I feel pressure to switch to a Cypres.

$ is tight of course so I'd have to buy a used Cypres and I'm not sure if that's such a great deal.

Any thoughts? Sorry for such a long post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can fly!! - Peter Pan

ahh the mk 2000...reasonably reliable in its time(introduced in late 1970)but,it is nothing more than a rate of descent sensor and altitude sensor combined .there were many internal changes over the course of its production run some of which caused problems(i.e. inadvertant firings).to wit:in 1973 the microswitch that the aneroid closed at 1000 feet was changed to different design,known as a rivet switch.the rivet switch could be momentarily closed during line stretch and would fire.to compensate SSE placed an additional capacitor in the circuit to take up the spike.then there were problems with rate switches that would cause the units to go off on landing. and sometiomes they would just go off in a closet,car trunk etc..at the time they were made the only other unit available was the fxc mechanical unit,and they had problems of their own.
BOTTOM LINE,its extremely old technology and while it MIGHT work ok for you,you really are much better off with a cypres or some other more modern unit. hope this helps.

I'm new to DZ.com so sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd like some input on my Sentinel.

I've heard from younger riggers that it is unreliable, but I've heard from older jumpers/riggers that it is perfectly reliable (and younger riggers just don't know much about it). I did my first 37 jumps with it and felt fine, but now I feel pressure to switch to a Cypres.

Sentinel

The Sentinel is some +30 year old technology. It was good in its day and saved many lives. But there are much better and more reliable AADs available.

I also know a Master rigger, former DPRE and long time jumper that would go so far as to testify in court that any DZ using Sentinels today should be considered negligent.

You can ask Roger Allen directly about what he thinks about using Sentinels today. He used to work for SSE. Today, he works for Alti-2.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

roger allen only worked for SSE for about 5 years,i worked for snyder(SSE) for over 15.i was there during the hey day of the mk 200 and roger was there during its final days.he really is NOT as well versed as you think on the intricacies of the unit..bottom line tho,if you expect it to save your butt...i would not use it ,get a cypres or some other modern auto opener.