WorldWarIII

New, New York, Jumper

Well, in a way, this is sort of a reintroduction. I first made a Dropzone.com account over a year ago when I started researching the sport for school paper and out of curiosity.

Well, tandem #1 is in the books folks!

Had a great time at Skydive the Ranch today, and it was everything I dreamed of and more. Somehow the nervousness I had when I walked up to manifest for the first time was completely gone by the time the tandem master and I jumped! I didn't think skydiving could be so zen, but it really is. I get it now, and I think I've landed on a hobby for a lifetime.

Hope to see you all around the DZ! Had a hell of a time, and can't wait to start AFF.

1 jump down, a million more to go!
"Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Glad to hear you were able to do a tandem and that you liked it! So, did you continue pursuing a career as an ATC?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I didn't make it in this year's round of hiring, but I'm still in the game for sure. I've been working for Cape Air in the meantime and I love the airline world.

The pay isn't great, but flight benefits are probably the best job perk in the world! I got to fly round trip to Costa Rica for around $130 last December. In fact, I cancelled a round trip JFK-Tokyo ticket (only $372 for me!) and used that towards my tandem. And with Southwest Airlines flights being completely free for me, I pretty much have access to every major DZ in the country now!

My next step with skydiving is to sign up for The Ranch's Jump Course, knock out two more tandems, and move on to IAF/AFF. I was really impressed by the professionalism there, and conversations with the instructors on the ground and fun jumpers in the air made me feel like I've known them for years.
"Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Seems to be the way The Ranch's progression goes. I'm comfortable with the tandems right off the bat since I do have a bit more questions about canopy flight than I do about freefall. Just from my own comparisons it seems like it doesn't up the cost unreasonably.

My next step is a ground course followed by a second tandem tomorrow morning (provided it doesn't get as gusty as it was this afternoon). Looking forward to it for sure!