ABerry83

AFF Student...finally!

Hey there...

I made a tandem 2 years ago, you know...just for a fun-jump, and unexpectedly discovered a sport I couldn't get out of my mind on a daily basis (no joke either). Because of graduate school, I couldn't devote the time I needed to jump regularly and decided to painstakingly wait it out for another couple of years. A year later, I made an observation ride just to get some more "cheap" exposure to the sport...it was a great and healthy interim experience, but was difficult knowing I still had another two or three years to go. Flash forward another year (last month), I decided I could not wait any longer without jumping and decided to JUST do my ground course and AFF L1. What a terrible idea that was, because the rush of excitement came back and before I knew it I had purchased the entire AFF package upfront! So here I am, 4 jumps later... I passed L1, failed L2, then passed L2, then failed L3...haha.

Apparently, us humans make time for what we want...I'm a full time assistant professor, part time IT consultant, and full time doctoral student...don't have a clue how I've made the time for this sport already, but it just seems like I find myself jumping in the car and driving 2.5 hours south to the dropzone! Thanks to some folks on these forums, I've found a fantastic DZ in Cullman, AL ... Skydive Alabama where I'm going through my AFF. I feel like I've finally found something that puts some excitement in my weekends!

Boy, can I relate to the first part of your post! Made a tandem 2 weeks ago, couldn't get it out of my mind, made another one last week... now I'm signed up for AFF. What is it about this that grabs you and won't let go? Not that I mind, but my thoughts used to be my own...

Can't wait to be in your shoes, working on the jumps!

What is it about this that grabs you and won't let go? Not that I mind, but my thoughts used to be my own...

Haha, nice way of putting it ;)! For me it is not just the excitement, the risk, the adrenaline, or the thrill...those are all part of it, but mainly it is the rare and unique opportunity to appreciate the "grandness" of the sky and Earth from a perspective that so few are able or willing to experience. The plane ride up, looking at the ground from thousands of feet up without the barrier of a door separating me from an amazing view...sure you could get this from becoming a pilot, but it's a whole other thing to jump out and soak it all in freefalling among the clouds. I just don't think there are words to explain it, it means so much more to me than just jumping out of planes. Then there's the challenge: on my second jump I really started questioning if I should be doing this or not...I mean, it's not the safest way to spend a weekend. That's when I found another aspect of the sport that drew me in...skydiving allowed me to challenge myself in a physical capacity and quite literally step out of the plane and face my fears (of landing). I'm so use to "perfection" in my career and everyday life, that it was a total frustration to find something that truly kicked my butt. Skydiving is a physical AND mental sport...not being very physical, it's a healthy thing for me to do in addition to the opportunity to learning how to overcome my fears of landing and discovery of a whole new challenge that exists in honing skills that I have a goal of SLOWLY mastering in time.

There's even so much more to it than that...I've only just scratched the surface. Skydiving offers SO MUCH that many sports do not...you have RW, swooping, freefly, etc...the possibilities seem endless and exciting! I see the interesting people that are at the dz and encouraging dz staff and that is another aspect that has drawn me in. Even the people on these forums and the passion that they share in a way that not many people really will ever understand, yet experience in their life. The real question is...what does skydiving mean to you!

Thanks SkyMama! I have to keep that schedule just until May when classes let out and I drop some other stuff that I've got going on. I'll still be working on the phd for another year, but the summer will allow me to make a lot of progress on it before the next school year starts up and I have to start teaching again. It's encouraging for me to remind myself that when May comes, I finally have something more exciting to look forward to than just a ton of free time....I can look forward to skydiving with all that free time!!! Stay at the dz on weekends, MAYBE attend my first boogie :P ...this sport has so many exciting offerings that I have yet to experience. All in good time...think it sounds realistic?

Good for you for going full speed into what you love. I am a bit jealous. Had to take some time off because of finances (left my fiance and had to get an apartment). I have a child so I can't just sell all my things and skydive. I would if I could.

You definitely explained in great words what all of us new skydivers are feeling and have felt.

Good luck to you on the rest of your AFF and glad to have you here. I look forward to reading your posts. =)