skydiver30960

Detach mod

Can somebody fill me in on the details of how the "detach mod" that the swoopers are using on their d-bags and pilot chutes works? I understand the basics, am more interested in how the lanyard that controls the system and reels in the d-bag/pc is routed.

Just curious;

Elvisio "can't think of anything to put in quotes" Rodriguez

A guy a my dropzone is using this mod. It's worked everytime I've seen him use it :S. Basically, it's a line attached to the slider. This line is then attached to the D-bag.

He never goes to terminal before pull though. I can imagine that might cause problems with hard openings. When packing you really need to take care where the lanyard is routed. I would say that before you make this mod, or use it, you really need someone to help you face to face.

To me, a better idea would be for all swoopers to use static line direct bag ;)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Is the line short, so that as the slider comes down it actually pulls the link to detach the d-bag? Or is the line long enough for the slider to come all the way down, and being attached to the slider just means there isn't an extra line being stowed with the rest of the suspension lines?

elvisio "learning" rodriguez

The line is a sort of loop. Each end of the loop being attached to the left and right of the slider at the rear.

| |
I I
I I
\ /
\/
|

The asterisks are the grommets on the slider.

The letter 'I' and slashes being the line. The line length is I suppose critical because it has to be long enough to allow the canopy to come out of the d-bag before it starts to kill the pilot chute. Once the canopy opens the slider comes down bringing the d-bag with it. You can then detach the d-bag from the slider. When packing, line from the slider follows the top skin of the center cell to the d-bag. Excess line is stowed with a small rubber band in the d-bag.

The d-bag is never attached to the main. It's only attached to the slider. This means you could get some very strange things happening with a pilot chute tugging away at the slider as the canopy opens. Also you have this extra line hanging around during opening that could go anywhere [:/]

As I said, I don't recommend playing with this idea unless someone with knowledge of it is at hand on your DZ.

Edited for spelling
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl