MilliniaS

What makes my intro to skydiving so special???

NADA!!!!!!!! Sorry to drop the cliff hanger on you like that!

Actually I did my first tandom on my 30th b-day and it was going to be the last crazy thing I did. (something about turning 30 and becoming a responsible adult) Well I was hooked. I immediately purchased my second tandom and took the ground school.

So now three weeks later I am on my 5th AFF jump ( would have been more but weather hasn't cooperated) and no stopping in site!

Here is my problem, I have no concerns about jumping, in fact I LOVE the rush. But right at the door my instructor always has to pull me closer to the edge and stick my head out the door. I know he has a firm grip on my straps but I never get all the way out. Then leading to a bad exit and a little buffering around before I settle into my arch.

He says I got a little better on my last jump but still sizable room for improvement... he is very impressed with my head being on a swivel (constant altitude checks and DZ locating during freefall And great defensive canopy piloting.)

Maybe its just a front brain thing that I will get over as I progress?
"Its such a beautiful day outside, we should thank the leader."

"The leader? Who the hell is that? Some sort of leader?" -Homer Simpson.

Welcome to the DZ, and to this exceptional sport.

Sounds like your doing the responsible thing now that your 30 :P
taking the AFF course and getting out there to enjoy life,
every minute of it that you can seems pretty responsible to me.

Too many people end up with a long 'wish list' of what they'd wish the HAD done in life,
when they get older and are on their way out the final exit.

Enjoy your ski diving,
and get on out that door like its the doorway to the rest of your wonderful, beautiful, exceptional life,
(because it is)
and dive into life now that your 30!

Welcome to the sport and to the forums,
-minna

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Welcome to the sport.. Wait till you finish your AFF and you will be looking at the airplane door as it gets further from you after exiting the plane.. Trust me, Things only get better
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Franklin

I am glad I got a chuckle from somebody on that comment! I always make myself laugh but usually my girlfriend just gives me that "did you really just say that?!?" look.

Skydiving does not make you irresponsible, it makes YOU an very adventurous 57 yr old woman who wants to enjoy life and live it to the fullest. My guess is that you've already raised your kids and have gotten that responsibilty out of the way. So why not do what you want?:)

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Yeah, I guess it really isn't irresponsibility. I'm just still getting used to the idea of spending money to do fun stuff I want to do after a lot of years as a single parent. And that's spending LOTS of money, with a lot more to come.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

It sounds like you are finally taking a moment for yourself!!! I would say that is completly responsible!!! I would consider myself honored to jump with you!

There you go. Spend the kids inheritance. If you spent yrs as a single parent, you've got this coming to you. Enjoy. By the way, what made you decide to take up skydiving?

Let's see. I'm a math teacher with very little science background, so I decided to take a physics class. The instructor decided a field trip to do a skydive would be a fun/educational experience. Well, I was the only student who could afford to go with him. I had never seriously thought about skydiving before except to think it would be a fun thing to do---no burning desire to then.....Any way, he and I went and did a tandem (first time for him too). As I was sitting on the ground after landing, I was thinking "I could do this again". Two hours later, I was thinking "I could do this every year on my birthday." About two more hours later, I was calling the DZ to find out about getting my license. THat was October. I had some money in a savings account and some more came my way. So I decided to spend the money before one of my kids came up with a disaster that needed it. I might have waited until spring...... but no, I just couldn't wait that long, so Thanksgiving weekend I started AFF. I'm now at 6 jumps and looking forward to every sunny weekend day so I can jump again and again. B|B|B|

POPS #10490

It sounds like you are finally taking a moment for yourself!!! I would say that is completly responsible!!! I would consider myself honored to jump with you!

Thanks. Who knows? Maybe we'll get a chance to jump together somewhere. B|

POPS #10490

My kids don't mind me spending the money, but they have had to do a little adjusting to the idea that their mom likes to jump out of airplanes. My daughter was the first to decide I knew what I was doing, but my son took a tlittle longer. I think he's coming around. He said he would try a tandem if I would get a tattoo. I might have to take him up on that. My students, well, as one of them posted on my discussion board today ,"You kick butt!!!", and that seems to be the general reaction among the students. They may not be as happy when word problems related to skydiving start showing up on their tests, however!!!:S:S

POPS #10490