alexs750

Alex from Indy

Hey, just wanted to quickly say whats up and post a few questions. Im in and Airborne unit in the Army and havent ever jumped higher than 800 feet but just about everyone I know goes on a regular basis. IM home for about 2 weeks and wanted to get my license while im here in Indiana. Anyone know the average cost (seems like $1200-$1600 from looking on here)? How many just does it take usually? A friend locally got his for $1500 w 8 jumps all AFF, is that good? thanks!
Alex

Im in and Airborne unit in the Army and havent ever jumped higher than 800 feet but just about everyone I know goes on a regular basis.

You might know this already, and it might not apply to Airborne guys, but I _think_ you're supposed to give some kind of "hazardous activity statement" to your CO if you want to do things like skydive or even ride a motorcycle on your own time. I've talked to a couple of guys in various branches of the service and they all had to do this - none of their commanders said "no", but they had to do it.

IM home for about 2 weeks and wanted to get my license while im here in Indiana.

You might look around to see if you can find a dropzone that's open at least a few days during the week as well as on the weekends - a lot of smaller dropzones are only open on Saturday and Sunday. Use the dropzone locator on this site. Many DZs have bunk rooms, sofas, or camping areas so you can stay overnight if you want to.

Anyone know the average cost (seems like $1200-$1600 from looking on here)?

Caution: This is based on my own (fairly recent) experiences with going through training, but I haven't jumped everywhere and things may be different where you are.

That's probably in the ball park for your first 7 or 8 jumps or so. This varies a lot by region, DZ, etc, but for AFF, your first jump might be $200, the next two or three around $150, and the next three or four around $125. The first jump includes the ground school. The first three or four jumps also cost more because you need two instructors. The last three or four only need one instructor, so they are cheaper. These jumps almost always include the use of all the equipment: rig, jumpsuit, goggles, altimeter, etc. Advice: don't freak out if you don't pass a level the first time you try it. Lots and lots of jumpers repeat at least one level - some of them repeat lots of levels, like me. :)

At that point, you will probably be cleared to jump by yourself. You have to make some more jumps and complete certain tasks to get your A license - there is a minimum of 25 jumps to get the A license. Some dropzones have a defined sequence of "coach" jumps to help you work towards your A license - you jump with an instructor to work on certain thngs. These jumps will probably cost less than your last AFF jump, but more than a plain jump ticket for an experienced jumper. Other dropzones don't require coach jumps - you just buy a plain jump ticket (about $20-$25) and jump by yourself. At this point you will probably also have to pay for renting the rig if you don't have your own.

Another option for the first several jumps is static line or IAD. You already know about static line. :) IAD is similar, except instead of the static line, there is a regular pilot chute. Your instructor holds the pilot chute while you jump, and then lets go of it a few seconds later, which deploys your canopy. The advantage of this method is that it's usually cheaper. Once you're cleared to jump by yourself, you still have to get 25 jumps total, perhaps with coach jumps as above, to get your license.

A lot of people do all their training at one DZ, but it's not impossible to switch DZs in the middle of your training. If you only get 5 or 10 jumps in while you're in Indiana, and then you get stationed somewhere else in the US, you can probably find a local dropzone where you can continue your training. Just make sure all your jumps are logged and that you have your logbook with you so your new DZ knows where you are at in your training.

IMPORTANT: When making your sport jumps, remember to leave the rifle at home. Or if you do bring it, remember not to shoot the people that walk up to you after you land. :)

Welcome!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.