tjbitt

Intro: Newbie in Virginia

Hi all, my name is Ted and I live in central Virginia. I'm hitting the big "50" this year and finally decided after all these years tto take up skydiving which I've wanted to do since I was a kid.
I plan on signing up for AFF this week and wondered if there is any reason not to start this way insted of tandem the first jump or 2. Money is not an issue and barring anything else, I plan on progressing as much as I can.
I am really psyched and ready to go--any words of wisdom for the un-initiated?! ---Ted

B| Hi, Ted....and welcome aboard! My name's Kev (47) and I'm from nw PA, formerly from VA Beach. I have the same story....but I finally did mine on my 41st birthday, as a present to myself. I went AFF, I can't be a passenger....and I really recommend that anyone who even has the slightest intention of following through, go AFF. There were only 8 levels, when I trained. It's a better program, now....more jumps for the same money! :ph34r:
If you do it, try to keep your jumps as close together as possible.....less chance of forgetting anything from the previous jump and there's less anxiety. I would recommend no more than 2 or 3, in one day, however. You wouldn't think that you'd exert much energy, in freefall.....but this stuff will wear your butt out!:o
"T'was ever thus."

The only problem with going straight to AFF is that as soon as you leave the plane on AFF level 1, you have to begin a series of tasks. Doing this on your first jump, with no prior experience of jumping could be a drawback.

If money isnt an issue, i'd suggest to start with a tandem. This will help you know whether skydiving is for you - and will help you get over any nerves or sensory overload when you do your first AFF Jump.

Just my .02... bear in mind that this is coming from someone that has only done one tandem and starts AFF in 3 weeks!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I signed up this week for my first two jumps on Feb 4. It will be 2 tandem jumps with the classrom work for the AFF 1st jump. If things go well I will transfer to the AFF course. Wish it could have been this weekend as temps in 60's with clear skies and no wind. Hopefully the wx will cooperate! Tnx again....Ted in Virginia:)