marv0723

New to forum and new to sport

Hello everyone. Just did my AFF Level 1 this past weekend with a good friend of mine. Loved it and will be back this weekend for Level 2, maybe more depending on funding :)

Marvin Walden
Move Shoot, Inc.-Tactical Training Consultants
Visit http://www.moveshoot.com

Yup, Move Shoot.

You'll find that there are a handful of us on the site that are civilians but really enjoy shooting and tactical shooting as well. Although as a rule of thumb, unfortunately, if a thread has anything to do with firearms, they tend to get moved to Speaker's Corner then the anti-gunrights types attack the thread. Even if the thread was about tactics or weapon choice or ammo choice. Oh well, what do you expect on a skydiving website.:D

Welcome to skydiving and DZ.com.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My plan is not to propagandize about weapons or tactics. I have other fourms as an outlet for that. I will answer any questions or discuss it if someone wants to, or I will refer them to an appropriate forum. It is, after all, just a job. Of course, I have a passion for it and I also have found I like this skydiving thing pretty well, too.

Marvin Walden

With the folks at SkyDive Atlanta in Thomaston, GA. The owner of our company began falling from a perfectly good airplane about a year ago and another one of our instructors and I were talking about how we had always wanted to try it. During the conversation, neither of us could think of a good reason why we hadn't done it. Neither of us had much interest in the tandem thing, so we signed upfor the AFF program.

Marvin Walden

I'm level 4. I have a hard time with my legs too. My instructor recommend to do some tunnel training because you can see yourself in the reflexion. Is kinda expensive, but if you look at it this way: $10/min of freefall in tunnel or $160 for an AFF lesson, is worth it. I have not done it yet because my schedule is kinda crazy and I can accomodate to go to the tunnel. I will go to the DZ this weekend and I will try finish my other 3 jumps. Wish me luck. An exercise that I do at home is lying on the floor practice my arch (20 secs) and try to guess where your legs are, then look. Good luck to you. Do not give up!

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I". pf

Yeah, I know what I'm supposed to do, it's just that I end up having so much fun while I'm up there, i don't seem to focus enough. I've considered the wind tunnels, but there isn't one very close to me. I haven't ruled them out, though. Of course, now my wife wants to go through AFF Level 1 this weekend, so I may be pinched on my jumps.

Marvin Walden

Marv,
I gotta start with you, cause it's your thread! ( And I hope ya don't mind but I'd like to say hi to two others too,,,:$) i.e Aggy and Skymama

Dude, The Wind Tunnel is Awesome, and well worth the time. Rookies like us benefit immensely from it.
Seasoned pros still go there to hone their skills. I live in VA. Jump from Skydive Orange, VA and I took the time to go to Skyventure in Orlando, FL. It was Worth every penny and the time it took to go down there.B|
There was many a time that weather wouldn't let me get up and I was getting REALLY frustrated but my DZO convinced me that I'd get more out of the Tunnel then I would just doing a tandem "only to get some freefall time" I was soooooo tired of being grounded due to winds/ clouds/ whatever.... Part of the sport as we all learn[:/]
I was pretty unstable on my first couple of dives and my jumpmasters said that I'd benefit from the tunnel ( IF I chose to go...They didn't say I HAD to.) I figured going to Florida is never a Bad thing:P so I booked a trip cause our weather sucked pretty badly at the time.... I'll never regret it and can't wait for my next tunnel trip. You are pretty close to Florida..go for it man!

Skymama, Are ya healed up? Blue Skies!!!:)I'm still happy to advise on wrist stuff if ya want it!

Aggie Dave,
I'm a skydiving Newb. I would be happy to "trade" Sky-knowledge for Gun-knowledge. I've done Intel/Tactical/Ordnance/Armor for the Army.;)
Like Marvin and you say, this may not be the appropriate forum but shoot me a line on anything you want to talk about and I'm happy to advise. I also go out to Texas from time to time. ( Hoping to jump there next time.. Dallas/ Ft. Worth??? any suggestions?)

You are correct, Florida is usually not a bad idea. I feel like I SHOULD go before I do my Level 4, since that's the one most seem to have trouble with.

Marvin Walden

Well, I finally managed to keep enough pennies rolled andfinished my AFF on June 24, doing Level 6 and 7. My f@#$t (I was told never to say the word given to the place before "Second") solo was great. Everyone told me to just chill on the way down, but I couldn't resist the urge to take another crack at the front loop.

Marvin Walden