ramalama

First Time Blues

Hi all,

Ram here, an Ad Exec from NYC. A couple of my friends and I have decided to skydive for my friend's birthday. We are all very excited and at the same time 'butterflied in our stomachs' at the same time. We need some advice from you all to mentally prepare ourselves for the day. Also, Any suggestions on which skydiving facility is better in the New York Metro area? Thanks.

If you're doing a solo jump (static line or AFF Level I), then try finding yourself a quiet place, sit down, close your eyes and picture the jump in your mind. Run through it from the very beginning, make the mental image as bright and as positive as you can. Run through the whole jump from walking out to the plane to take off, the ride to altitude, moving towards the door, exiting, through freefall (if any) under canopy to landing and walking back with your parachute. Imagine everything going perfectly to plan and the feeling of pride and satisfaction in yourself afterwards. Also, physically rehearsing all your drills will make it easier when the time comes.

If you're doing a tandem jump, then things are much simpler. Simply remember what you're told by your instructor at briefing, keep it in your mind and try and relax! Skydiving is an awesome rush that is tinged with the excitement of risk. Acknowledge the risk but don't let it freak you out, and remember that your tandem instructor is a highly experienced and qualified skydiver.

Welcome to the forums! :)
It's hard to get over those butterflies on a first jump. What you're going to do isn't very natural and you don't really have anything to compare it to. I will tell you that you don't get that feeling in the pit of your stomach like you do on a roller coaster. It's more like sticking your head out of a car window. I hope that helps! Just do it though, I'm sure you'll like it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

mental preparation: trust. thats it. trust that your tandem master will do everything right because what happens to you happens to him. and trust your equipment. watch the altimeter on the way to altitude, that way you know its working. relax, and enjoy the biggest rush of your life. just remember whatever you do, NO grabbing the TMs hands.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Hi, Ram - Have you made your first jump yet? I just did mine last Saturday (10/16). It was beyond anything I even imagined, and I have a very vivid imagination! If you're still preparing to go, I can't add anything to the great advice already given by the others, especially Andrea, but I can tell you that #1, it's worth every second, #2, there's probably no way to get rid of all the butterflies and they're normal anyway, #3, all the mental preparation in the world is still not the same as actually doing it. and #4, trust is really the key! And you CAN trust your instructor!