SeanCulver

5 Jumps So far

Hey Everyone! I love this site its amazing and everyone here is really awsome. Im 21 and goto Sou Southern Oregon University where I am trying to organize a club here to get more people interested in this sport. I am in love with the sport and plan on working hard to become good at it. I was wondering if anyone knew a good book / video that helps students become better flyers and overall better skydivers? I would apreciate any feedback. Thx alot

Sean

Hey Sean:

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you like the sport so much. It is cool that you are trying to spark the interest of others. Just do not get discouraged. It is a hard sell.

There are numerous videos out there and books which can help you to become a better flier. Just look in Parachutist or Skydiving. One thing is for certain working with a coach and if you can get to a wind tunnel are definitely the best. I am not sure that ya'll have access to a wind tunnell up that way though. Another good thing is to get video of yourself jumping so it can be debriefed.

Well dude, enjoy the forum's and the sport. If you love it that much I suggest getting a lifetime membership. It pays for itself in the long run trust me. You just have to know that you will not quit the sport.

Blue Skies & Soft Landings,

Keith (KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!) B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Welcome to the forums! :)
As for books, I recommend The Skydiver's Handbook, and the Skydive U canopy control book and video. I also recommend watching Breakaway, the malfunction video more than once. Don't be too concerned about doing anything fancy for awhile. Get the basics down real good and put safety as your number 1 priority so you can enjoy many, many fun years in the sport.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome to skydiving and welcome to the forums!

IMHO, the Skydive University training videos are the most up-to-date. I believe the one that would benefit you the most is "Basic Body Flight Theory."

Videos are helpful if their methodology is up-to-date, but I agree wholeheartedly that nothing beats one-on-one in the air or in the wind tunnel with a Coach.

Good luck!
Arrive Safely

John

Hi Sean

I'm also new to the wonderful of skydiving! I've haven't really started my 1st jump as yet, scheduled to do the 1st level of AFF in June! I was kinda interested in AFF since a couple of years back but i din not really go into information search in singapore for Skydiving! Until recently, i went to have some fun at the SkyVenture Wind Tunnel at Genting and i simply fell in love with the feeling of bodyflight!!! This is simply a wonderful sport to fall in love with, esp when u have this grp of wonderful and helpful ppl here are Dropzone.com, there's really no reason why u shud not SkyDive!

I'm currently reading 2 Skydiving related books:
1) Jump! Skydiving Made Fun & Easy
2) Parachuting: A Skydiver's Handbook!
I find that both books give relatively good coverage on the basic information about skydiving, esp for newbies like us! i'll truly recommend the 2nd book. becos it's very comprehensive and give u the technical details of equipments etc.... if u have the time, do read the "JUMP" book also. cos it describes to u the experiences and also the mental preparation u shud have etc..... this is a more easy-to-read book to me!

Since u had done jumps before, i think u'll enjoy reading the 2nd book, which is the Skydiver's Handbook more i'm sure..... ;)

Each time i see New ppl joining this forum... i know that all the more i wun wanna give up this wonderful sport!!!!!!

Fly High, be a Birdman!
Cheers.....
BleuSkyz

Yeah i agree fully, This is by far the best skydiving website there is on the internet as well as community of helpful skydivers willing to put time into the development of newbies such as you and I.

I have problems with relaxing and letting the air do the work and i get a bit jerky when in freefall controlling body flight. Any suggestions. Im getting used to the feeling, also I kinda move around when i exit the plane. Any thoughts? I try so hard to relax it just deosn't work hehe Lol (trying hard to relax) i think that is contradictory maybe that is my problem =D

any advice will help

Thx

Sean

Those are things that will pretty much work themselves out. You've only got 5 under you belt and you are staying pretty stable, just imagine what it will be like at 10.

Welcome to the forums.

Blue Ones

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....