jkbasejumper

help planning eurotrip

Hey guys some friends and i are planning a trip to europe next summer and we need a little help from those of you that have already been there.
we are planning on going to Italy,France and Switzerland. so here are a few questions we have...
what are the best months to go?
which country should we fly into to start with?
should we fly from country to country or rent a car and drive then turn in car in last country visted ( is this even allowed)
finally is anyone else planning to be in these countries that could show us around?
thanks for your help,
jason
big country
base998

Depending on your budget and how much of a clothes horse you are, you may want to consider a Euro-Pass. It is an unlimited train pass that is good all over Europe. Google it. The passenger rail system in Europe is so much more advanced than in North America.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Rent a car or van depending on the group size. Check out Amigos car rental online. Make sure it's a desiel; better mpg. Do a round trip returning the vehicle to the same airport you arrived at. Europe is smaller compared to the States millage wise. So getting around is no big deal. A van is the way to go.......
Will

I went to Norway and Switzerland with a group of four a couple of years ago. We rented a car (Ford Mondeo station wagon) in Amsterdam, drove to the popular fjord in Norway, drove to the popular valley in Switzerland, then returned the car in Frankfurt. The whole thing was very economical. Coming from Canada, we're used to pretty long distances, so the drive from Norway to Switzerland (especially with four drivers) was surprisingly quick (12 hours or something, I think).

We were a bit bummed when we found out we were renting a Ford, but that didn't last long. The Mondeo still felt stable going 230 km/h through Germany. Gear for four people fit nicely into the back.

I have also traveled through Europe by train. Although I am very impressed with the rail system there, if you're going with a group it will probably be cheaper (and more convenient) to rent a car.

:P Michael

A car is also very useful for getting to the exit points in much of southern europe. You need to be able to drive up behind them, in lots of places, and there is no public transport to many of the sites, aside from the main ones in the Swiss valley.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com