mfob

Ground Launching

I’m going to go try some ground launching here in about ½ an hour. Seeing as I have never done it I would like to know some thoughts on how to do it the best. For instance: Should I stow my brakes, if so deep or shallow? I can picture it pretty good. I can see that it would be good to just run down the hill and get the canopy over my head (if it helps the hill is about 400 ft tall and at about a 45 deg slope). Then would it be beneficial to give a little toggle input to get it to go into flight? Or would it be better to just run for as long as it takes to get the canopy into full flight and let it take me off the ground rather than trying to lift it off with the before mentioned toggle input? Any help will be appreciated.

DO NOT STOW YOUR BRAKES. Fly with them. BE SAFE
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Wrong forum but....
Basic method to ground launch. This is very general and not intended to be used as instructions.

Remove the slider and pilot chute. Run the brakelines through the guide rings.
Don't stow your brakes but put them in the keepers.

Face up the hill,(half line twist)
kite it (good luck with that)
steer with rear risers
Spin around and grab the toggles.
Control the canopy above your head.
Practice kiting the canopy.

When it's time, start running down the hill and flare.

You might be able to fly the canopy on rears, maybe not.

Chances are you're going to get drug around quite a bit so if there is a good amount of wind, and obstacles behind you, don't hit them. ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks for the help. Im sorry I didnt know it was the wrong forum. I am mostly a BASE jumnper, and I hardly look at other forums. My thinkin since I was doing it with my base canopy, that this would be a good place to get the info I needed. Thanks again, anything helps!

Then it's the perfect forum... they would have said not to do it in the other forums ;)

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

doing it with my base canopy

Do what Hookitt suggested. And since you're using your BASE canopy, find good, steep hill. You'll need it.

-C.

Ground launching base canopies is routinely done at The Point in SLC. Since you're in Ida-ho, make the trip down sometime.

Have fun.

dont know if this helps but this it what it should look like when you are kiting the canopy with the half twist minus the slider and PC, i dont know about the BASE canopy but to get my canopy inflated the easies this is having the breaks stowed and pulling the front risers till off the ground then using the rears to keep the canopy stable.

Hey Yall. Maybe I will get down to SLC sometime seeing as I am close. I just got back from the hill. I defenitely needed that steep hill that was mentioned. A little head wind was the best. Too much in a gust and it would pull me up and over the hill. Plus my loading on it is about .59, thats a bit much for me. But when I finally got it all figurged out the best was keep the brakes in the keepers and "kite"the canopy, like hookit mentioned. It wouldnt give me any forward movement, but as soon as I would pop the toggles it would fly much better. Then with the extreme wing loading it was everything I had to get it to go forward. I ended up giving it some front riser. That allowed it to dive from behind me to in front of me whereas I could start to fly. First time sucked ass, as well as the second. 3rd 4th 5th and 6th kicked ass. I had a good but short ride of about 12 seconds. and some sweet swooping onto a small walking path. So it all went well, and Im safe. Thanks all for your help and hopefully Ill see you all at the Perrine sometime. See you at the exit point.......