lifewithoutanet

The Score - BASE jumping and newbies

Watched "The Score" w/ Robert DeNiro and Ed Norton last night. It's a heist flick, for those of you who don't know. DeNiro is the seasoned veteran thief and Norton's the up and coming new guy, trying to prove himself and show DeNiro he's got what it takes. I'd seen it before. But about halfway through, there's a conversation that struck a chord this time around...as the last time I saw this movie, I hadn't yet started BASE jumping. I'd say it's about the perfect bit of advice never written for a BASE jumping newbie. Norton starts in, asking about 'longshots', 'gambles', too much risk. DeNiro's response is priceless.

Norton: "Look, I know you're careful, I'm careful too. I mean, you know, when you were starting out, when you were just getting going, you must have taken some flyers here and there, done something that was a little wild. I'm just curious."

DeNiro: "I never took long shots. I'm going to say something to you. You're smart, you're talented, you know a few things. But talent means nothing in this game if you don't make the right choices. There are plenty of talented people out there who never see the light of day anymore. Last thing: takes discipline. Because this whole game is one big long shot, and if you don't have the discipline to stay away from the flyers or from the gambles or whatever else you wanna call a stupid move, then my friend, I'm afraid to say, one day you will go down. It's inevitable. You want my advice? Make a list of everything you want now, and then plan on spending the next 25 years of your life getting it, slowly, piece by piece."

Just something I thought I'd share on a Monday morning.

-C.

I saw that...Good advice.....Nice share.....
B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Nice! :)
Be that as it may, I don't know many people who never took any fliers

Be that as it may, I don't know many people who never took any fliers

I actually know a lot of people who've taken the risks, paid the price, and try to counsel other people to avoid it. In the context of the movie, the old guy might have done a stretch of hard time, and wants to help the young guy avoid it (note that I've not actually seen this film). In the context of BASE, the old guy may have seen a bit of carnage, and wants to help the young guy avoid being part of the next round.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Beautiful. Damn Good post Collin.

. . . . I have no reservations with approaching BASE very conservatively. I don't ever plan to go "hard" in BASE, and for that matter I don't ever want to be known as that person. But in my mind I think I will be the most worried after I have 50 jumps under my belt and am thinking I can handle things that I can't. That's where I hope my much more experienced BASE friends can help coach me through my decision making process. ;) And believe me, I listen very carefully and heed everything you guys tell me.

J.P.