tymkoder

Rope Jump - Base Jump - Video

Found this link for a Dan OSman ascent. 400ft in 4 mins 26 secs
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/965/

Wow, that is one crazy video! Ok, 5.7 is nothing for a serious climber, but still, he RUNS up that wall and ain't shy to dynamically jump around just to save some time - without a rope :o
Crazy fucker...

Btw, Alex Huber free-soloed a 3000 ft 5.11 not too long ago...

What's all that fuzz about base-jumping...

"What's all that fuzz about base-jumping... "

Yeah really? That climbing shit is crazy!

We used to go out bridge swinging which I suppose is the real tame version of what you guys are doing.
This was our favorite site until somebody decided to go off with a Big mac meal.
This was released rapidly on the swing.
The strawberry milkshake hit a walker on the head and they called the police. :$

The viaduct has now been opened up to walkers and cyclists in Yorkshire.;);)

We had to climb over a 15 ft fence.
You just imagine all that climbing with a Big Mac meal ;);););)

www.myspace.com/durtymac

If anybody has any questions about our system, please ask.

I can't be certain from the video, but it looks like a mix of dynamic and static lines. I imagine the static lines would only be used at the anchors (if static lines were used at all), with dynamic lines comprising most everything outside of the anchors. Is this correct? If so, what diameters and elongation?

What's the lifespan of a system like this? Do you consider UIAA fall ratings or is the system designed to minimize the impact on each piece enough to significantly expand the life of each line?

-C.

PS I found my economics classes about as interesting as you find yours. Nice work.

The anchors are a mix of Cable-slung boulders, and static rope slung boulders.
The tyroleans are custom made 220meter by 16mm High tenacity Nylon lines.
(read:ULTRA low stretch, about 9% at failure)
the jump lines are off the shelf 10.3mm dynamic lines. There is no shock absorbers other than the lines themselves and the "inertia redirection" (read "swing")

We have used the same tyrolean lines for upwards of 1000 jumps before retiring. The wear comes from handling and transport, not jumping.
we replace jump lines (dynamic lines) about every 200 jumps.
After testing a used jump line on our own test rig, they lost no strength after 200 jumps. What we found that ruins the lines is rapping on them after a jump, not the jump itself. The forces we put on them are very small compared to a lead fall.

as for the UIAA, they are great for climbers and rescuers, but of course we are not climbing or rescuing. I learned my initial rigging from an alpine SAR team, and then quickly chose to ignore it. They are so locked into some very conservative rules that serve an OSHA:S governed body very well, but they dont need to progress, and progress is what we are trying to do. We are here pushing gear to what we have found it can do, not what it was designed to do.

Calvin,

I have two questions:

1) How do you get off the rig after the jump? Are you wearing extra rope in your backpack that you use to rap down?

2) What's the process to get the jump rope back up to the exit point?

Lou

The backpack holds an extra 70' of line from the endof the jump line. One unties the reserve line, and rappels down the remainder of the jumpline after the swing is stopped (or while still swinging, wich is really fun once you get a hundred jumps off the same rig, like spotting a bomb drop, but its your meat!)

The rope is hauled back up to the Exit by a thin line that is thrown down AFTER the jumper Exits, the thin retrieval line is kept at the TOP while a jumper is jumping.

The turnaround time with the 4 of us who know the system well can get down to about 5 minutes, the hike out takes about 18minutes.

i havent used a cinch for jumps but for belaying it locks off a lot quicker...makes it a good candidate.

am i trippin or are you using 2 independant tyrolean systems & joining them with a massive screamer for a lanyard??
whats your reasoning for usiing this over a single tyrolean with the limiters on the anchor? PM or email me if you dont want to post it up here (btw i completely understand and support keeping your setups out of the public domain)