subterminal

Protective gear

I'm going to buy a back protector and would like to hear what gear people have good experience with.

I see that Dainese and AXO offer a lot of different styles. A lot of the products seem quite smooth and I get the feeling that one could get more or less a full body-armour without limiting movement.

Should I get a full coat jacket, or a back protector with separate elbow pads?

Any input is appreciated!

Cheers,

CJ =)

I have had alot of luck with products from 661 (it is a company specializing in mountain biking gear)

http://go-ride.com/prod_armor_661.html

I race down hill and used their products for years before I got into BASE. Check them out.

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

here is something i found that might be useful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dainese-Body-Armour-Snowboard-Motocross-Protection_W0QQitemZ7180388374QQcategoryZ97028QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

from what i have understood from the moto gp racing stuff. dainese back protectors are designed to prevent a person from arching that way. Good luck in ur search ;)

:D i know i dont have any experience in BASE but i like to read this section every now and again. dont take this as an intrusion :P ;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I have from my biking days lots of Dainese gear, i tried to make use of the Dainese HPC back protector for my trip to Norway, but as the last poster said they can be really restrictive when you need to bang on a hard arch.

Some guys out in Norway where using back protection without the fixed vertibrae style, which allows a bit more movement (planet knox etc) i would look around and try some out in the shop maybe with a rucksack on or something

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BASE 1029

I believe the best gear is Dainese,the full spine guard that extends all the way to your coccxyx is probably the safest, however it is deffinately limiting. I use the boys size. get a large if you can but a medium is good too.they are way cheaper and would protect you in just about any scenario I could think of. The full jackets are pretty cool too because they have chest plates and are one piece, but sometimes you might not want to wear everything, but might still like the spine guard.
good times
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I disagree that the range of motion wearing Dainese is very limiting. Arching isn't restricted by much at all and a hard arch is certainly attainable if you choose to. The full safety jacket or the spine protector alone allows plenty of mobility.

Spine Protector

Just buy one. There's no reason not to have one. I've used the original safety jacket which has this exact spine protector. The fall would have killed, or, at minimum, paralyzed me.

The spine protector alone is easily concealed under clothing, and it's small enough to either carry it or wear it while climbing.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks for feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely go for Dainese.

Found a few different options on http://www.dainese.be/en/ski/waistcoasts/index.htm

I think the Full Coat Wave looks good, but I wonder if this one is as snug as the spine protector hookit put a link to... Does anyone know what the difference would be?

I'm mostly doing aerials so I'm looking for the wonderful combination of mobility and snugness (as it would be quite unpleasant if things shifted during a sequence.

Thanks again for valuable inputs. Much appreciated!

CJ =)

Hint: Try on the body armour with your rig. You may find the expansion of your torso volume makes your rig too small to wear comfortably. I bought 661 chest/back and found it is really restrictive with my harness-Ideally the harness would be an inch bigger or so.....