Newtons2nd

Advice on still and live cameras?

Hello,

I am wondering if I could collect a few opinions on video recorders as well as still cameras.

I am new to BASE and won't be actively jumping until late summer, but I wanted to start getting used to the functionality of cameras with my other sports so that it is NOT on my mind while I am in freefall.

I have seen the new product by SAMSUNG that has a remote lens and is relatively cheap, but it seems that almost every base video I have watched has a fairly standard camera mounted on the helmet.

I am absolutely after QUALITY and nothing else--I have seem some fairly crappy videos, and although it may be the operator error, there is still a great deal of camera error.

Hopefully there are just one or two options that have proved well.

And then for still camera, are there any functions that really matter for jumping or would one just apply the current knowledge of cameras. I assume they are mouth operated triggers.

Thanks.

"I have studied these things — you have not" --

Newton

Not to be abrasive but, how about learning to be the best BASE jumper you can and dont worry about mounting a camera on your head before you have even started?
Then may put one on when your skills are good enough?

Most good quality camera flyers, whether it be from a plane or BASE, are exellent at their skills, most "do think about getting the quality shot", as their past experince in becoming a great BASE jumper or skydiver has let the skills become almost second nature.
BASE jumping is like no other sport. Learning to do it good enough just to save your own ass, should be the only thing your thinking of when you are new to it. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I can appreciate that, but I am actively skydiving now and wanted to start taking shots so that I can learn the equipments charachteristics. I didn't mean that I am trying to take primo shots on day one of BASE camp, as I said I wanted to know what is used so that I can start using the equipment now to understand it better so that 'without thinking about it' I can take some shots at some point.

I am posting in the BASE zone because I assumed that equipment might vary a bit from classical diving.

In addition, becoming the best at anything (for me) requires visualization--I have taken a half dozen sports to the top and attempted four fold that many, and I have yet to find a sport that doesn't change ones perception of relativistic time. Meaning that watching a video of ones actions while ones heartrate is 35-40 and the hormones in the bloodstream are minimal, may allow for quick realizations that time is relative to the frame of mind or even more important that small mistakes have been made that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Hmm, never heard of "classical diving", must be a new discipline....;)

The equipment is the same as you'd see on any camera flyer that exits from a plane though.

Be safe.
Ed

Alright let me word this again, I am sorry I don't have the lingo correct and the number of jumps necessary to get a proper opinion but...

"equipment is the same" is really helpful, but I was really looking for something like:

Oh hello there, welcome to our forum, it was really nice of you to log on and tell all of your friends about this website where people are friendly and offer some specific advice.

It has been my experience that skydiving and BASE alike use the same cameras, most prefer the blah blah 324, but some use the blah blah 824. I think the blah blah 924 is very expensive but since you said money didn't matter then it may work well for you.

That is a great idea to strap it on a 180mph vehicle first to find it's weak points and learn to compensate. Since you already skydive you might find it will take some getting used to so I would advise using it for a while first before you attempt to BASE with it since BASE requires a great deal of focus. In my opinion it would be wise to steer clear of any videos while you are learning worry about the jump.

In my opinion it would be wise to steer clear of doing any video while you are learning, worry about the jump.

See there, you answered your own question!

<<>>> :)

Be safe.
Ed

Can you give us an idea of what your background is? Filling in your profile would be helpful. :)
Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Here's an idea! Why not wait to buy the "bla bla bla whatever" till you have enough experience in base, to jump with a camera. Then you'll be sure to get the latest most up to date equipment, as we all know electronics comes out with something NEWER and BETTER every 6months to a year. At that time you'll have the jumps and people will be more helpful.
NEVER GIVE UP!