JaapSuter

Helmets

It's been a while since we've had a thread about helmets, so I figured I'd start one.

I did a search on the forums, but there are so many threads out there with so many different recommendations that I'm not seeing the forest from the trees anymore. Maybe if I specify my requirements and keep it base-specific, somebody has some advice.

I've been using my N-Vertigo freefly helmet so far, mainly because I hesitate to add another helmet to my collection. I have helmets for skydiving, bicycling, motorcycling, climbing and skiing. Arg.... :S

I realize that this helmet is not going to provide much protection on hard impact though, so it's time for something better.

I need the following:

1. Good solid strength and protection. More than just protection against bumping your head in the plane. Ideally some proven strength through a CE or other certification program. I care more about protection than weight.

2. Good visibility, including full peripheral vision. No visor, or at least a detachable one.

3. Chin protection, preferably one that is slightly protruding, so it stops your face from deforming.

4. I have no interest in video at the moment, but I'm guessing that some day I will succumb to the lure, so future camera-attachability would be a nice-to-have. However, if I find a better helmet without this, I'd take that one.

I have my eyes on the Bonehead Illusion at the moment. Does anybody have any comments on it? My main worry is their strength, since they don't seem to go through independent certification testing.

Thanks,

Jaap

I've got a Mad Max S, made by Giro, which I'm very happy with. The best place I found to look for suitable types was in snowboard stores under racing helmets. They're built to certified standards and as light as anything - always good to help prevent whiplash :P

I'm always skeptical about helmets put out by skydiving manufacturers, since the crush material tends to amount to a half-inch or less of something pillowy-soft.

Your biggest problem (or certainly mine) will be finding a helmet with a chin cup (which brings you into full-face territory) which fits the remaining requirements. On a lot of the full-face MTB helmets I've tried, the fit is so loose that I think I'd just wind up breaking my chin on the helmet instead of the rock... Though you have mentioned that weight isn't a big issue, a lot of those with a better fit are really heavy.

Any particular reason why you're not looking at a snug-fitting skate/snow helmet without chin cup?

If future camera-mount isn't an issue, you might want to look in the direction of the Dainese Raptor series (which looks very promising), though I haven't managed to try one on myself.

How are the Giro helmets for slosh back and forth at the chin? As I say, the full-face MTB helmets I've tried on are pretty loose up there.

How are the Giro helmets for slosh back and forth at the chin?

Ross should be able to answer that, Ross?

I'm always skeptical about helmets put out by skydiving manufacturers, since the crush material tends to amount to a half-inch or less of something pillowy-soft.

My thoughts exactly! You'd think that now that there are at least a thousand base jumpers ;), skydiving helmet manufacturers would realize there is a market for sturdier helmets.

Any particular reason why you're not looking at a snug-fitting skate/snow helmet without chin cup?

I used to ride with a snowboard helmet from Red, and have recently bought a new one, but the brand name is slipping at the moment. It's actually what I was wearing on my skibase, and it seemed to be fine. Maybe I'll take another look at it. I do like a chincup though. If only to avoid planting the rest of my face against a rock.

The Dainese helmet looks pretty good, although I'm curious about their cert. I'd also take off the cap.

Thanks,

Jaap

I measure up as a 56cm head size.... but I've got the XS size in the Giro, which in theory shouldn't fit me. I find it nice and comfortable though, with minimal slippage.

I tried on the M size which should be the one that is ideal for my size, but that was definitely too loose to offer any protection on me.

If you're going to use it skydiving, head-up flying can cause air to get caught under the chin and start to pull the chinstrap against your throat though!

Oh by the way, one thing I've always noticed with the mountainbike style helmets is that they always feel really lose, even when you go a size smaller than what fits. They're also very big around the head, but that's a trade-off between safety (more material between you and the rock) and looking good I suppose. B|

Jaap

I think the lid you had when we ski_BASE'd is perfect! I use my Giro ski helmet for skydiving, skiiing and BASE. My buddy Jason made me a very slick, low profile, low snag potential camera mount for it. No chin cup but I have no complaints. I jump with a camera on most jumps. Seems just fine.

Giro kicks ass
SabreDave

The Giro helmet is just like the motorcycle and snowmobiling helmets out there....

Goto a after market shop for dirt bikes and snowmobiles...

They have a wide range of helmets.... the helmets that look like the Giro are called Moto Cross helmets.

Or at least that what my friends and I call them...

Of course when we buy these helmets they need to be very snug on your helmet, otherwise they are use less when u crash and hit the dirt / snow.....

Some of those helmets come with removeable cheek pads also...

these helmets can range from $100 to $1000

Hope this help's

=============================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I just walked into my local mountain-bike shop and ended up trying several different models from several different brands. I ended up buying a Mace, see the attached picture.

This model allowed for slightly bigger peripheral vision. It was also a lot cheaper than the others, yet certified according to the same standards. I'm guessing they can be cheap because they're just a small local Vancouver-based brand.

Btw, here's an interesting post by Dwain from this thread:

In BASE lately there has been way too much focus on technology when compared to the general focus on advancing one’s own skill levels. In general an excellent jumper / canopy pilot on a ragged out old Pegasus will nearly always be in a much safer position than somebody with questionable skills covered in body armor under a Troll MDV or a FLiK Valved Vtec (just as an excellent tracker wearing jeans will always deploy further from the wall than the average Joe wearing Birdman Tracking pants, etc). More often than not, skill will far outperform technology.

My point is that many jumpers (both experienced and beginners) should redirect some of their interest in the finer points of BASE technology towards simply advancing their basic skill sets. Many newer jumpers have the belief that having the absolute best gear provides them with a good safety margin. It does to a point, but a strong focus on developing skill sets (and never being satisfied with your current ability) will take you much further in terms of safety.

Every jumper needs to constantly strive to improve their hardest launches, running exits, ability to take their intended delay (especially if you are packed slider up), sub-terminal and terminal tracking, body position on deployment, speed and correct reaction to off-headings, canopy control, and ability to land softly with a high degree accuracy. Until you have achieved these skill sets to a basic level of competency and consistency (which sadly is rare amongst the average BASE jumper), then discussing the finer detail points of BASE technology becomes somewhat redundant (albeit interesting).

I guess that applies to wearing body-armor and helmets too. Better make sure I lessen the chance of needing it.

Hey Jaap!

I have a couple of questions about the Mace. First, how is the weight? Second, one of the things I look for in a motorcycle helmet is that I should be able to grab the chin bar, pull it upward, and it shouldn't get too much further than my chin. No point having a chin bar if it isn't going to stay where your chin is. With every full-face mtb helmet I've tried on, I could get the chin bar at least as far as my nose before I encountered resistance. So much for the bottom half of my face.

Michael

i have around 350 base jumps and once a had a pretty serious accident, short story is, i hit the ground about 50 mph(from a BASE jump)- injuries were, two broken feet, dislocated shoulder......rocks lodged in numerous areas of my body but i was wearing a simple protec helmet, they are not very stylish but they work.....i will vouch for that. yeah, i suffered a concusion, but no helmet would have stopped that from happening.

How is the weight?

It's definitely heavier than my freefly helmet. It's a lot lighter than a camera-helmet with a camera on it. Mace has carbon-fiber models too, but they are significantly more expensive. This helmet was cheap enough for me to take the risk of not liking it.

I did a jump with it yesterday, and it felt comfortable. I'll be putting a large number of jumps on it in the coming week and then I'll know if the weight affects my neck or not. I'll let you know.

I should be able to grab the chin bar, pull it upward, and it shouldn't get too much further than my chin.

I can definitely move the helmet around a decent amount (it's snug enough though). However, even when the chincup is pretty much in front of my nose, it still extends far enough down in front of my mouth. I believe this would still provide good protection for the lower half of my face. It would require an oddly shaped rock to enter the area in between the chincup and my neck.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but one can only do so much to protect yourself.

Anyway, I haven't quite made my mind up about this helmet yet, but we'll see in the coming week.

Cheers,

Jaap

Check out paragliding helmets, they are strong full face and light no face shield and your periferal vision isn't blocked.
in europe they have a rating system (kinda like havivg a DOT approved motorcycle helmet)
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"