Kinaa

PC attachement conf.

"...The configuration for bridle attachment on a pilot chute used by ParAAvis allows the jumpers to asymmetrically attach the PC to the bridle..."

I found this sentence on Paraavis web site, and I don't know what that means. Any one care to explain? I don't know if it is because of my lack of english or their or maybe something else.

Thanks,

I.P.

It has to be bad translation. Asymmetric attachment is _bad_. Very, very bad.

It might mean that the ParaAvis PC's have a loop style attachment point (like the Paratech PC's, some CR PC's, and I believe some newer Asylum PC's [not 100% on that]), which pretty much makes assymetric attachment impossible.

If that's the case, I'm a big fan. In fact, I paid more to have all my PC's custom made that way, back a few years ago.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

YO Tom!
You mean something like this? (see attached pics)
When I jump low, I use some custom PC's made by one of the best riggers here in Italy, and a very well known BASE jumper... :)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

So is it possible to have that attachment point from the normal manufacturer?
Nice! I think it would be better and safer also for beginners to have that kind of attachment point to avoid the risk of an asymmetrical PC with all the related problems...
Why not to produce the PC's standard with that system?

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.

I think it would be better and safer also for beginners to have that kind of attachment point to avoid the risk of an asymmetrical PC with all the related problems...

I absolutely agree. I feel strongly enough about it that it gets it's own paragraph in my "First Rig" article.

Why not to produce the PC's standard with that system?

My understanding is that it's harder to produce PC's that way. But I agree with you that it ought to be standard, even if that bumps the cost up a few euros.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm completely with you!!!
I think few more bucks are a good choice for a lot of more safety...

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.

Tom,
I agree that pilot chute oscillation is not a good thing and that every step that we take to make our jumps safer is a good thing.
but what are the actuall effects of an ascillating pilot chute on canopy opening? two scenarios

1.. I can see it making a impact on possible canopy horizontle movement.
I dont see the single attachment point making a difference in horizontal rotation. IE off heading opening. now given enough time and rotation if the bridle was allowed to spin up to a pint of binding then it might start to make a canopy rotate...

2.. on a canopy with a multi point bridle initially the effect would be the same. that is untill the velco peals and the attachment points become farther apart. now the ascillating or rotating piolt chute has the ability to actually "apply rotaional force"..

remeber we are talking about a very low canopy opeing speed and opening time.

Tom just looking for you to give some actuall real world report about the effect of an oscillating PC.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Have you seen the video clip in this thread?

A few thoughts:

We're not necessarily talking about a very low opening speed or time. This might be a terminal deployment, or it might be a go and throw.

If you watch the video linked, you can see that the canopy is being spun by the orbiting PC, despite the bridle not being "spun up" tight.

The negative effect of an orbiting PC is not a result of the bridle twisting. it's a result of the extraction force shifting directions. Imagine if you could do a PCA, and halfway through, run 20 feet to the left, then run back 20 feet to the right. It's a bit like that. The canopy moves toward the PC (or anchor point, if fixed). When the PC (or anchor point) moves, the canopy changes direction in mid-deployment. This can also lead to slack developing in the system while it moves to line stretch, as it changes directions.

The multi bridle slides--it doesn't necessarily peel. It can slide back up the lines and still remained mostly closed. That means that force can be exerted sideways (kind of like crossloading your risers by dipping a should during deployment) from the instant the PC reaches bridle stretch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,

yes I did see it. I was just trying to get a little different thought from people on how a PC could possibly effect thier equipment setup.
a little devils advocate.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Have you seen the video clip in this thread?

If you watch the video linked, you can see that the canopy is being spun by the orbiting PC, despite the bridle not being "spun up" tight.

How can you know that the canopy is being spun up by the orbitin PC. Perhaps the PC is being made to orbit by the slider up canopy opening and squirriling around, as they sometimes do.

:D
t
==========================================

I didn't invent skydiving, but I jumped with the guys who did.