Juancho

couple of Qs

Cheerio!

Could a kind soul explain to me what exactly is a Tension Knot? I read some post about how could it be prevented but have only a vague idea of what it is.

And the last thing, I've been searching an answer for this in Blinc and here, but no luck yet.

Why there are so few jumpers that use the "slider gate"? It seems such a nice thing to have in every slider up packjob. Keeping your slider up (direct control) while preventing the tail to open before the nose.

it's essentially a bight. an ugly, un-clean, un-intentional bight.

see also: fu*k me
see also: oh sh*t

A tension knot is essentially when one line gets caught into a loop of another line. When the lines gain tension, that entanglement is locked in.

The best way to avoid them is to, oddly enough, maintain tension on your lines throughout the packjob to keep everything where it should be.

Walking down your lines to remove subtle twists will also help minimize the risk of the problem.

As far as slider-gates go... only Vertigo makes sliders with slider-gates, so most likely the reason you don't see them in more widespread use is that folks don't modify their (non-Vertigo) sliders to include a slider-gate.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

As far as slider-gates go... only Vertigo makes sliders with slider-gates, so most likely the reason you don't see them in more widespread use is that folks don't modify their (non-Vertigo) sliders to include a slider-gate.

CR slider's used to have the same "slider gate" that Vertigo uses now. CR removed them quite a while ago. I believe this was due to worries about impact on heading performance.

The masking tape tailgate, as well as simply using a tailgate slider up, are both in relatively wide spread test use, and seem to be yielding good results so far.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How many wraps of the tailgate slider up? I've been using the Tape method for a while now. I haven't tried the Tailgate.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've been using two wraps, same as slider down. But I think it might be important to vary it depending on the altitude--I've been jumping over the water with it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Could a kind soul explain to me what exactly is a Tension Knot? I read some post about how could it be prevented but have only a vague idea of what it is.

Maybe you've heard of the PD video called 'Break Away'! This video explains basically every mal possible in very understandable language and gives tips how to act when one occurs and how to prevent them.

In this video a tension knot is explained in word and picture with both ground and air footage. Very informative!

You could possibly find a copy on your local DZ.

cheers,

www.vandrunen.ch