bertusgeert

Climbers and Jumpers

A thought just entered my mind.

Has rock climbers and BASE jumpers ever crossed into the other's territory?

As far as climbers getting pissed at BASE jumpers, ar jumpers not wanting to jump cuz of climbers on their way up?

Probably not, but i was just curious!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Yes, but it's usually a pretty friendly exchange. There have been some notable problems (can you say "Scott Burke"?), but the usual interaction is pretty good.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yo, Tom...
Wasn't there a case in Ozz. several years
back where a Jumper had a 180 on a cliff jump
and actually snagged a female climber by the
head with the nose of canopy and peeled her off ?

Wrong place at the Wrong time.

Others will know more about this than me. I had the story relayed to me after I made my first jump at this spot several weeks ago. The version I heard was a cavalier jumper was actually trying to swoop the climbers under canopy and fucked up, pulling several people off, and from what I know, killing one and paralyzing another. As such, jumpers aren't especially welcome at this spot anymore.

Hello --

While completely different sports, climbing and BASE jumping run many parallels. Conflicts between the two are rare.

I frequently jump in a region where climbers are often directly beneath me when I jump. If they are near the ground, I'll take the time to walk up to the base of the route and ask them if they mind if I jump -or- I'll try to at least communicate it from the top down so they have some type of warning.

I think it's the courteous thing to do since the shock of an unexpected slider-down opening could peel them off the rock -- maybe even at an unopportune time (picture some guy running it out 20ft above his last piece and he takes a fall)

In every case, I've never had a problem. And by taking the time to ask, I believe it shows mutual respect and maturity to our brothers and sisters who also share the same rock.

Bryan