unclecharlie109

Line twists during Wingsuit BASE jumps?

Do any of the experienced WS BASErs out there have any advice to reduce the chance of line twists / off heading openings?

I recently jumped a 550m wall in Europe, made an 18sec flight but suffered a 180° off heading with 3 line twists B| I lost a lot of time getting out of the twists and as a result had to land on a narrow track in the forest. Not cool.:( Happy to walk away un-hurt & undamaged.

I only have a handful of WS BASE jumps but I have had line twists twice. I deploy at "full speed", my packing is reasonable and my body position feels symmetrical. (38" zp, large mesh, nose folded, in-direct)

What do you do at pull time?

Long flights, soft on heading openings

james

If you haven't already, post this question on BLINC.
There are some really knowledgeable wingsuit flyers that AFAIK don't read this forum.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Hi James,
In order to avoid line twist or pack twist get the dynamic corners. :-) Ok. joke. If you have rig without the open corners than while you packing the canopy in the rig be careful about the placing. Pack job has to placed perfectly symmetrical and on axe with the rig.

Also place the Tail pocket in the middle of the rig. Don't place the tail pocket all the way down to rig's corners. This way of placing the tail pocket will ensure that the heavier part of the pack job which is the tail pocket will probubly avoid corners of your rig and will not be hoocked and rolled to side.

Fast and long
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Further to my original post:

I continued my Wingsuit BASE line twist recovery testing schedule at a large terminal wall in Europe this weekend.

By placing my tail pocket in the centre of the container I achieved the following results. (see photo attached):S

I have postponed further testing until I have examined all the major test parameters: packing / body position / container corners ;)

long flights,

james

....ha, haa, ha LOL !!
Oh my god This is an excelent resoult James!!!
I was happy that you landed w no damage!!

See you soon.

Back to problem - I have been using this packing method when I was jumping Vertigo rig and I had good resoults. Body position playing fundamental role in opening when you jumping WS.
TRy few more time and let me know, this is always interesting subject though

Regards
RoBi
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Dude, that is so not funny yet funny. Like Robi said, I will lay suspect to your body position as a contributing factor to your problem. Sorry but I laughed out loud when I saw that photo. Glad you didn't have any further issues with it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

James,

I agree with Robi. But as I see it is two kinds of linetwists. One type induced by the canopy and one induced by your body.

The type induced by your canopy are often pack or rigging oriented, like how you pack or place your packjob or attach you PC.

The type induced by your body are usually un-symmetrical pull sequence, dipped shoulders or that you are not keeping you heading throughout your deployment.

Hope this helps.

As for what I do at pull time ... usually I hope for the best.

PerFlare
www.swedishbaseteam.se